Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 912iS wiring

Wink Re: 912iS wiring

That’s it Ross! Thank you. It would help if I would read the entire manual

Default Re: 912iS wiring

No Problem. I think I missed that te first time too. Infact, your issues reminded me that the installation manual has this information in several different spots that I didnt find very helpful and it coud easily be missed. Good luck with the rest of the project.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

BUDS Aircraft is the name of the program used with the dongle. Presently version 3.0.1 is in use. It can be downloaded from the Rotax site free (flyrotax.com) There is another program which is only available to persons who have attended a Rotax heavy maintenance school. After the data is downloaded to a memory device it is used to read the error codes and display items of interest in graphs. It is called BUDS reader.

It’s time for my next wiring question. When wiring the backup battery switch and the start power switch, the diagram shows a connection to the regulator board A for each switch. Are the connections just to the side of the regulator with all of the ground connections? So I’m grounding each switch twice? One to the regulator and one to the ground block? I’ve examined the regulator, and see no other connections.
    Thanks
    John

John, everyone here knows I am no electrician and someone will need to confirm this. It makes sense to ground twice since the second ground in the back up power half, will complete the circuit if the first ground failed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Haha, no Eddie, doubling up for redundancy is not the way this setup works

One side of each double pole switch is power, the other is earth (ground). The 912iS has two types of earth; Airframe and Engine (EMS). When you throw either switch, on the earth side of the switch you are connecting the EMS earth (on the Regulator A plate) to Airframe earth.

I've attached a simplified version of my layout. You'll have to ignore the start timer, which takes the place of a start power switch. If you have a look at the Backup Battery switch you can see how the right side of the switch is the 'earth side' and how the top of the switch connects to EMS (Regulator A) and the bottom to Airframe.

I apologise if this wasn't the question you were asking and that I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Edited to add: yes, it looks like you were just asking for the physical location of the grounds. I've attached a diagram of the earth points for EMS grounds on Reg A. Sorry its so small but it's a restriction on the size of the photos we can attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaulSS; 11-06-2018 at 05:30 AM.

It all comes about because Alt A/Reg A provide power to the EMS/CPU/Fuel pumps as an isolated system not connected to a/c battery or to a/c ground. Start power must come from the battery system and that has to include a/c ground. Hence the start power switch to momentarily provide battery and a/c ground to the EMS/CPU system. In order to reduce the number of wires passing through the fire wall I ran one a/c ground wire to an insulated post mounted on the avionics tray near the CPU and then a/c ground wires to both the start power and to the back up battery switch from that post.. For 12volts to the switches I came off the main bus bar which of course is a source of 12 volt battery power already through the fire wall.

yup, just confirms I haven't learned a thing about electrical stuff. Thank God that the FAA doesn't test to confirm my knowledge gained from building an airplane under the premise of "for recreation and education" clause. Thanks for the though Paul.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Unhappy Re: 912iS wiring

Thanks for the information guys. I’m with Eddie, this electricity stuff is hard to get my mind around. Thankfully we have folks out there to answer my questions. I had to get Advanced Flight to send me diagrams to explain the locations of wires on the switches
    Thanks for the help
    John

Well, I’m slow working my way through the wiring process. This question is specific to the Rotax 912iS and the Dynon Skyview configuration. Dynon has been helpful in advising me through downloading the 912iS specific software. Of course they won’t be available until Monday. I’m hoping someone who has the Skyview can help me with my question. I can see my EMS widgets that are specific to the 912iS, but they all have a red X over them. What is the next step? How do I make the red X go away? The CAN sensors don’t appear in the sensor mapping menu, pins 36 and 37 (connected to HIC) are empty and can’t be configured manually. I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks
    John
    Kitfox S7 with Rotax 912iS and Skyview HDX