Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xengineguy kitfox update

Smile Re: Xengineguy kitfox update

To answer a few questions, the gear is a highwing clone. I purchased a set of highwing gear, built a set of jigs to copy the geometry, and built my gear.
    As some pointed out I did provide attach points for a redundant,adjustable bunji system. Very simple. Allowed me to use a lighter main spring.
    I will have a set of new highwing gear for sale in the future if anyone is interested( used only to build jigs with). Will post in the for sale section when I get some time.

Default Re: Xengineguy kitfox update

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot4Life View Post
    Definately not bungees...
    I can vouch for several heavily damaged planes from the use of the steel springs. Just drop one in (from only 1-2') with that design gear and you will have either a bent gear leg or a bent fuselage. When the springs bottom out they bang like a hammer and what ever is the weakest link will bend or break. I've seen it several times now.

I know of one guy using rubber pucks instead of springs ( like a Mooney). That looks interesting. Another is the idea of using some sort of oleo strut there.

The spring's travel is far too short by itself. Maybe with big bush tires it would work better...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Xengineguy kitfox update

get the suspension extension shocks off of a Harley soft tail and incorporate them into the landing gear,..instead of a coil spring or rubber pucks,..they may add a little weight but the dampening has got to be superior

dimensions are the same,..about 11 inches long,..you have 3 choices,,progressive shock..encased coil with rubber or air,..I think there is also a pneumatic series
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 05-27-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL