Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

Default Re: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

nope not for a private use strip. You have to provide the lat/long for each end of the runways and the distance to the closest town. and a sketch of the proposed strip. I used google earth did a snapshot and converted it to a pdf. They were happy with that. Been painless so far.

The requirements are based on the state you live in for any registered airstrip, private or public use, the state dept of transportation regulates the airfield not FAA or a flight service center such as NY center, they regulate the airspace starting at just off the surface and up and out. I live in Pa. other states may be different. There are clearance requirements for out buildings, wind socks, approaches and the like.
    Jim

The former owner did the ground work for the airport, but it must be easy. I'm basically right beside a rural neighborhood of 3/4 acre lots. Knowing the feds there is something in the regs that spells it all out. Without a doubt!!!
    Jay

FLYBYJIM is correct in that the state also regulates airfields.That said, in Idaho unless it is public use ie: commercial there is virtually no requirement. In fact state division of aeronautics will tell you to do the FAA route first.
    It does pay to get your neighborson board. In my case the closet one is 1/4 mile from my strip.

All good info. I've made my decision. I will not be doing anything that involves any government agency in any way whatsoever. It's my land, my aircraft, my personal business and "they" are not welcome to be part of any of my plans or use. Don't need them, don't want them. However, once I've tested things to my satisfaction, GPS coordinates are always available for any of the Kitfox family that wants to come and play.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I'm with you Steve. The Feds biggest concern is airports with instrument procedures. Where I live the philosophy of better to ask forgiveness then permission applies. We have a group of lawyers hired by the county council to "defend the rights of the people " called "Peoples Council" scary. If I were to bring this up for a special exemption at a zoning hearing it's not my neighbors who would come against me but the peoples council. So I'll just have my hay field that gets 12 cuttings a year. It's been six years so far.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Nick, agreed. That's all I have. A hayfield that part of will be very short. Maybe we can sell tiny winy bales!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I'm in agreement if there is an issue with the neighbors. Just do it! I'm sure my late father in law found an airport for sale and jumped on it so as to avoid any paperwork for himself. I do have one neighbor that has a bit of an issue, but I'm not too worried as it is already an approved airport in a rural area. And due to my airstrip and dealings with the town, I have avoided our little slice of heaven being incorporated into the town because of the legal airstrip. The incorporation would have raised everyone's taxes at least 5%, so the grumbling is at a minimum.