Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Nose wheel to tail wheel conversion

Default Nose wheel to tail wheel conversion

After getting a Kitfox checkout and tailwheel endorsement from Paul Leadabrand at Stick and Rudder in BOI I had to convert my Super Sport.

I bought 2 come-a-longs at Harbor Freight, 700 lb test rope and about $20 of lumber at Home Depot to make 2 stands (braces). The eye hooks came from Ace Hardware to get a long eye hook shaft length. Securing the eye hooks in the wood joists of the ceiling was my easiest solution. If you can figure a better top brace use it as I was constantly worried if the eye hooks would hold. I braced the airplane in as many spots as I could in case the hooks released. I also removed the prop -- just in case.

I lifted the airplane from the rear of the cockpit and that gave me enough clearance to unbolt the gear, leave the wheels on and simple roll the assembly forward. The biggest and only problem now was to ream the gear brackets and the receiving holes in the fuselage. Once all 4 holes were aligned it was an easy job to bolt the gear. I slowly released the come-a-longs, alternating from side to side, and the airplane gently settled to the ground.

Having my airplane wheeled in both configurations I can say my preference is for the tail wheel stance. But that's just me. Safe flying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Nose wheel to tail wheel conversion

Another thought on this, and I have used it several times to replace landing gear. Make up a saw horse type support with lots of gussets and cross supports at the bottom of the legs that very nearly touches the brackets under the lift struts. Rock the fuselage back using the support as a fulcrum to lift the gear off the ground. Add weight to the side handle until it holds position. If changing from tail wheel to nose gear, a higher lift will be necessary.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 03-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.

I am with you. I like the conventional look best. That is how my SS is going to look. Received word today that it ships Monday.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Replace the rear spar bolts with AN45 Eye bolts then you can use your set up after the windshield/skylight is installed.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I have pland to go to BOI in May and take some tail dragger training with Paul Leadabrand at Stick and Rudder. I have talked to John about converting 703KA to a Tail Dragger, after some stick time I will make the decision!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I like your paint. The taildragger stance definitely looks more mean.

Looks very cool Chris...nice paint scheme
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I have to do the same job for a friend, as mine is tail dragger don't now how the nose wheel is attached on the airframe and if it easy to do the transformation. Is the airframe same for the 2 models ? Will i just add a spring leaf fixing it to the existing tail holes ?
    Is the nose wheel go through the covering and will be an hole after removing the nose wheel ?

My friend have the same main gear, to put it forward the "spacer" to fix it are removable or fixed to the airframe ?

Thanks in advance. I'm fan of picture if you have.

Thanks for sharing your switch..
    I just finished the backcountry class Paul offers..great instruction..I am about to do the same conversion to my 7..did you ever fly your plane in the trike conf.?
    My plane in the trike conf. was ridiculously nose heavy!! Anyway my question is:is that all you did was move the gear forward? How did it affect your CG and weight and balance?

Thanks..
    Warren
    Maui,Hawaii