Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon transport

Default Flaperon transport

I have to take a pair of 7SS flaperons from Lebanon, Oregon, to Homedale (about 400 miles). I plan to do this by "tying" them to the top of my station wagon. The idea would be to sandwich the flaperons between a couple of mattresses strapped to the roof. Before I actually try this I'm hoping some of you have actually done something similar and can give me some guidance on dos and don'ts.

Default Re: Flaperon transport

No experience but I think I would be inclined to put them in a rigid container, perhaps a simple wooden box with padding. I would at least put boards in with mattresses (top and bottom) to keep everything straight. The box would be a little more aerodynamic as well. Good luck.

I agree, they need support. The manual even tells you not to pick them up by the ends, the internal spar may bend.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you both for the comments. I had considered the crate idea but hoped I'd be able to get by without though as I get further into this it may be the only safe thing to do. I think the board (2x4 probably) idea is a good one.
    My concerns were any bending moments caused by the 60 mph or so wind and whatever strain might be put on the hangers as they were pressed into the mattresses. In that regard I'd though of perhaps just cutting the mattress where they would make contact so no pressure would be put on them. Or possibly putting a piece of Styrofoam between the hanger and the edge of the slot.

So if anyone on Teamkitfox has done this please speak up with how you went about it.

I never did what you're trying to do, but if I was going to do it, I maybe would buy a 14 or 16' long 2" X 8" board and strap the flaperons to it. I've seen mattresses tied on the roof of a car going down the road and they want to bend back on themselves. They catch a lot of wind. If you tie the 2x8 securely, the wind won't break it or tear it loose. Padding between the flaperons and the 2x8 and you should be good to go. Other way is two 1" X 10" X 14', two 1" X 6" X 14' boards, some 2" sheetrock screws a cordless drill with a phillips bit in it, 15 minutes work at most and you have a crate (with open ends) Jim Chuk

PS just got to thinking again, and aren't the flaperons only 12' long? In that case, 12' long board or boards would be fine, maybe even 10'
    Last edited by avidflyer; 03-16-2014 at 06:45 AM.

This rig went from Wisconsin to NY trouble free. The flaperons were still in the original crate from the Kitfox factory. The box is supported by a canoe rack along with lots of straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would do the same, put them in a box to prevent damage from rocks, branches, and the fool that just has to go look and touch. My brother-in-law comes to mind, he has destroyed more things looking at it then you could ever imagine. you have a lot better chance of getting there with a smile on your face if you take the precaution.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I think the Jim Chuk idea or a variation will be it. I'm no carpenter but I think my skill set can accommodate that. But, I have a corner on slow - it took me 8.5 years to build the IV-1200 I'm flying now. Who knows how long it will take to make a flaperon support container.