Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Earplugs and Headsets

Default Earplugs and Headsets

Has or does anyone wear earplugs (foam or others) while wearing an ANR headset? If so, what is your experience, good or bad?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Earplugs and Headsets

I don't have any recent experience in an airplane, but in my military days, I always wore earplugs. In some airplanes it was essential, but in all the types I flew it was very beneficial because most of them didn't have insulation. Creature comforts like insulation, comfy seat cushions, and carpet unnecessarily adds to the gross weight of an aircraft! Anyway, the earplugs cut out most of the unwanted ambient noises. You have to turn your headset volume up, but the intercom and radio sounds you want are much crisper and understandable. I've been using earplugs for years while riding my motorcycle too. I do have an ANR headset embedded in my helpmet connected to music, an intercom, a CB, and a talking GPS. Listening to music is the best way to tell the difference. Try listening to it in any noisy environment, and you lose some of the frequency range making the songs sound twangy. Put in the earplugs, turn up the volume, and the music sounds just like music again. The only problem with earplugs though, is that wearing them alot can make your ear canals kind of raw. Hope this helps.

Russ -- No kitfox yet, but still dreaming.