Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: paint

Default paint

I am ready to start doing some painting and looking for some ideas. My fuselage is already painted with Ranthane. The wings are polytone except for the last 1/3 of both wings which are are poly shade. If I can afford it, I am going to use ranthane or aerothane on the wings to match the fuselage. However, to save money, and ease of applying, I am planning on using different, less toxic gloss white paint on the flaperons, struts, door frames and the fiberglass components. I know there are many shades of white so I am going to pick one closest to match the Ranthane white. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with other paints that will work on the flaperons and fiberglass?

Part of me is also thinking that maybe just paint the wings polytone since they are seperated by the windows and doors and wouldn't be that noticeable as if they were side by side. This seems like the most affordable route. That way repairs are easier especially if I end up cutting in the plastic ethanol proof wing tanks one day. I wonder if thre is way to make the polytone a little shinier?

Smile Re: paint

I went to the EAA Sportair workshop in Lawrenceville GA a couple of weeks ago and the instructor seemed to like the polytone best. He said that he takes 1500 grit paper followed by 3000 grit paper on a buffer and polishes the polytone and it develops a deep shine that looks like some of the old hand rubbed lacquer jobs we use to see. He said DO NOT run the buffer over any place that has a stitch because you will mess up the sewing and the tapes. He said he just polishes with plain carnuba wax afterward and the difference is unbelievable. That is what I plan to do.

BTW, if others reading this forum are a newbie like me, then you can really learn a lot with two days of hands on experience at that workshop. I have the polyfiber manual and the EAA DVD, but there's nothing like the hands on experience. I even learned how to tie the knots, square, half-hitch, and modified seine. I couldn't figure it out from the manual.