Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempest oil filter

Default Tempest oil filter

Have been using the Tempest oil filter labled "For Rotax" Which had two features over the Rotax filter I like. 1) Has tabs to secure safety wire. and
    2) Has an internal magnetic chip collector.
    Am hearing bad things about this filter in spite of the thought that Tempest must have a large liability issue with calling it "For Rotax"
    Anyone have opinions or real experience's with the issue? Thanks, JeffB

Default Re: Tempest oil filter

What things have you been hearing about the Tempest? Just getting ready to switch over to them on my 912 ULS. Seems the writeup on them was comparable to Rotax in every way.

Dick B

I like the safety wire setup. The 912's have a magnetic plug in the side of the engine...wonder what the difference would be with the magnetic chip collector in the filter too; and, if a person can see it when cutting the filter can open?

The can burst pressure is advertised as higher than the Rotax filter - that can't be bad.

Anyone know if the Tempest filter has an anti-backflow valve like the Rotax Filter?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Just had that conversation with Rotech research in Canada. My engine is dripping fuel from the pipe and Rotech thinks its the lack of a check valve in the tempest filter. I have a model IV and the tank is high which doesn't help any.

Interesting conversation.

There have been built-in anti-back flow and bypass relief valves in many oil filters for years now. You would think if Rotax thinks an anti-back flow valve is now required, that Tempest would put one in their filter. Should be easy to find out. I think we'd all like to know. Tempest seems to have a good reputation for design and quality.

Out of curiosity, how in the world could the lack of an anti-back flow valve in the oil filter possibly cause dripping fuel from a "pipe"?

I'm a big proponent of using high quality oil filters and oil in my engines. If the Rotax filter is truly the best, I'll use it exclusively. I'm a little leery of the perception I have that Rotax may charge excessively for expendable items on their engines, that they have designed just a little bit differently from readily available aftermarket alternatives to, possibly, corner the market on those over-priced items. I'm not saying that is the case in this instance, just a possibility with many companies. In my prior life that was one of my aggravations with Lennox equipment, for example..
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I hear ya.
    But none the less, or is it numb the less? You have heard of 912s that leak a little oil into a cylinder after sitting for a long time. Then during burping procedure there is a noticeable effort required to turn the blade. the offending cylinder has oil in it and the lower spark plug can be removed to drain that oil. Where did it come from? The oil tank. Can it leak past the exhaust valve because not all of the valves are closed at the same time depending on where in the four stroke cycle, the engine has arrested. At some time, the intake and the exhaust valve are loosely closed are they not? I'm not sure, but other than a major breakage in the rocker arm assembly, piston rings, etc, I haven't a clue. What do you think?

I for one am willing to pay the price of the filters from Rotax, they designed the engines so I can fly my planes with a comfortable feeling of reliability. They bore the cost of design, development and I am happy to pay a rather small fee to keep my engines running to their standards, I am not an engineer they are. We all spend many $$$ to get into the air, I want the best opportunity to stay in the air.
    Just one persons thoughts, no I am not a wealthy man, I do okay.

Jim

The safety wire issue is easily resolved by tightening a hose clamp on the filter. It's not even necessary to un-wire it for filter removal.
    Have close to 700 hours on mid 90's UL . Always use Rotax filters and Mobil 4T synthetic. Never added between changes yet. Twenty dollar filters are not a huge expense in the big picture.
    Cheers
    Don

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Use genuine Rotax parts on a 912. My 2 cents.

I too use the hose clamp on the Rotax filter. safety wired to the magnetic plug.

Something to think of as well, there could very likely be a warranty issue if your engine still is under warranty.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I'm a firm believer in the Rotax filter also.

I have never had a filter loosen on my auto or truck in the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven. Why would the one on the plane loosen if it was installed properly. Again, just because the 1920s design Lyo-Conti-Saurus engines did it doesnt make it gospel.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos