Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instrument brand

Default Re: Instrument brand

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    For VFR flight, the Kitfox is easily flown without any instruments at all...
    Jim beat me to it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Here's my 2 cents on backup instruments:
    For VFR flight, the Kitfox is easily flown without any instruments at all (except for engine monitoring). You just look out the window for altitude and use the attitude techniques you were taught for airspeed; therefore you don't need any backup flight instruments. Navigation is the only consideration for backup. In my home state and some nearby others, I don't need any navigation aids 95% of the time, I just use pilotage, so the odds of needing backup navigation is nearly nil. A longer x-country flight may require backup navigation, but on those flights I am nearly always flying with a buddy or two, so the other airplane is my backup. OK, it probably would be comforting to have your own navigation backup, so I have a GPS app on my smartphone, Avare, that would serve very well as an emergency backup. I also carry a Sporty's handheld radio that serves as my backup radio, but it also includes old fashioned VOR navigation as a third navigation backup for me. I do know how to use VORs and always carry aeronautical charts with me (I admit they are out of date, but would serve well in an emergency to look up VOR frequencies).

So there you have it, just a simple panel with an all-in-one screen, a radio and intercom and a wet compass for good measure and no other instruments, leaving plenty of panel room for a generous glove box.

You asked about brands, and I chose Dynon Skyview, but there are several other good brands out there for somewhat less money. Don't forget the ADS-B mandate; choose a screen with WAAS GPS that is already set up to easily incorporate ADS-B out and in.
    Very helpful info and beautiful panel.

What model skyview do you have?

My Skyview is the classic, not touch, 10" screen. Had it for over 5 years now with no problems. Database updates every month and yearly firmware updates are all free. I also used their remote transponder and engine monitoring module. Recently easily added ADS-B in and out.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Unfortunately for me the UK lot require backup instruments (even a compass despite the 5 different options of GPS track and heading I'll have). They'll accept electronic backup instruments provided they have their own power supply in case the aircraft loses its power. So, along with my MGL iEFIS Explorer Lite and flush panel mounted iPad Mini (using the FlyPad but might migrate to a Guardian Avionics mount) I'll be fitting the Funke BFI57. Not cheap but does everything (including another source of GPS track to make sure my wet compass is correct)

BFI57

My Skyview is the classic, not touch, 10" screen. Had it for over 5 years now with no problems. Database updates every month and yearly firmware updates are all free. I also used their remote transponder and engine monitoring module. Recently easily added ADS-B in and out.
    Very cool.

The classic seems like a very good value when one considers good gauges seem to range from 200-500 new, for the ones I have seen and seem to like.