Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Additions to firewall instrument panel questions

Default Additions to firewall instrument panel questions

I'm stalling getting my garage ready for the wing install operation and am wondering what I might be able to add to the firewall while it is still readily accessible. Any suggestions as to what can be added without hanging the engine to verify clearances. I've already installed the overflow bracket and the engine coolant radiators will go on tomorrow. What else???

Also - once upon a time when going thru posts on (I think it was) this site, I swear I saw someone's instrument panel that tilted forward for access. I sure can't find it tonight. Any hints??

Thanks in advance, Darrel

Default Re: Additions to firewall instrument panel questions

Have you put any electrical on it yet? Master solenoid, starter solenoid, Any fuel pumps such as the 912is has, ummm, fuel filter etc etc
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Mine may have been one of the posts where my panel rotated aft for access. I wired it as it was laying down flat so there would be enough extra wire to allow it. All I have to do for access is remove the 4 bolts under the bottom edge, remove the glare shield, and unbolt to two upper braces. Then the panel can be rotated 90 degrees to a horizontal position with great access to all the stuff behind the panel.

I have photos, but they won't upload.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks gents. I'll check the manual for any location details on the items mentioned.

As to the panel: I'm considering putting the panel on the mounting lugs/tabs via a hinge or sections of hinges. That way (so the story goes) there is little chance that it can get away from you after unbolting the two back bolts at the top of the rear panel for additions or maintenance.

If the picture issue has been resolved, I'll add one or two showing the modification I made to the bars that mount to the top of the rear panel.

Update: it appears the solution to uploading pictures is still in work.