Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

Default Re: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

I am a new Kitfox Vixen owner (imported to Canada from CA) and are planning on using a system of fueling by using a foot operated Zodiac inflatable boat pump. I have only tested this out with water so far but here is the idea.
    Make up an assembly using about 6 ft of 1" plastic hose to connect the foot pump to the "vent fitting" on a plastic 5 gallon fuel container.

Make up another assembly with about 4 feet of 1" plastic hose and a "camlock fitting" on one end and a goose neck on the other that will hold well into the aircraft tank. Attach a solid plastic tube long enough to reach the bottom of a plastic jerry can to the screw cap fitting from the jerry can and a male cam lock at the top end.

The idea is to set the can on the ladder about level with the wing, insert the goose neck hose in the tank and "pressurize" the jerry can with the foot pump!!

This assembly can be easily switched from can to can.

I also plan on siphoning the fuel out the same way in order to maintain fresh fuel in the plane or when trailering to the airport.

Does anyone wish to comment on this system. Has anyone experience using a "Mr Funnel" for maintaining clean system?

Comments please.

don

Read a review in an aviation mag last year about an austrailian aircraft that had a fuel pump built into the aircraft, what they did was stick the refuel tube into ta container and turn the pump on (using a/c power) then do the walk round when finished the tanks were full. The system was fully built into the airframe only the fuel container was seperate. I know I don't have much detailed info but the magazine article was a flight test and did not go into details (the system could also be used to pump fuel out of the a/c!) I would quite like to build something simlar into my MK7 but here in the UK it would require a major mod so probably won't bother
    rgds
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

You can easily make an inexpensive D.I.Y. 12v fuel transfer pump system, here's one example:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenerg...ump12vpike.htm

These are widely used on the tractor forums I visit for diesel transfer but I know pilots at private fields who use something similar for gas transfer. With this system you can even transfer directly from your auto/truck's primary fuel tank. Since the pump can be located in the middle of the run away from the tanks on either end, it helps minimize explosion concerns with gasoline. With proper care and use I really don't see it as any more dangerous than the electric boost pump you probably already have on your plane. Of course, you will still need take all necessary anti static and smoking precautions.

This is a very flexible alternative because it is portable and can be used with any transfer container and multiple fuels. I plan to make one and recommend the Mr. Gasket Micro Electric Fuel Pump Model No. 12S. Specs: 4-7 psi, 35 gph, compatible with all fuels and additives. This is a solid-state worry free electronics, self-priming pump with simple two-wire design for use on 12v negative ground systems only, and requires approximately one amp average draw at maximum delivery. Cost about $35, includes fittings and mounting hardware along with easy to follow DIY instructions.

Or, is it possible to pressurize your transfer tank to safely lift fuel from the ground up to your wing tanks?*** The portable 5gal plastic fuel jugs made by Blitz and approved for gasoline storage and transfer are designed to have the resilience to accommodate for fuel vapor expansion when it is hot outside. Underwriter Laboratories (UL) tests the Blitz containers to an ASTM F852 standard which includes a 20 psi test to allow for the expansion caused by fuel.

Why not simply add a tubeless tire valve stem above the full level, replace the spout with a big rubber stopper holding a copper dip tube long enough to reach the tank bottom in the filler neck, then run a line with a shut-off from the dip tube outlet to your wing tank. Better yet, add a valve stem to a 6gal poly marine fuel tank with an existing dip tube. Connect a low psi air pump and turn it on to push the fuel up. Kwik Tek's portable 12v air pump for inflatables or air mattresses has peak pressure ~3.0 psi. Part #AHP-120S for less than $20.

Again, just tossing out a few ideas and offering food for thought. I would expect no problem getting 6' of lift from either of these cheap DIY fuel transfer systems but personally am leary of pressurizing fuel tanks, even though it has been done. In any event, always use extreme caution, clear judgment and common sense when transferring flammable fuels.

***CAUTION: Use ONLY pumps and fuel containers approved for transfer of gasoline. Excessive tank pressure may lead to bursting. To prevent injury or death you MUST know the safety ratings of each component in the fuel transfer system.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Last year I purchased a 500 gallon fuel tank from another airport. Had it filled with marine gas(no alchohol!!!!) and have been selling fuel to a few friends as well as using it myself. The problem with the small fields in this area that have fuel is that they are not always manned and when you fly a lot in the eveings as I do it makes it hard to get fuel.

I have often thought of building a mobile fuel tank out of a 75 lb propane cylinder,..purge the tank first with carbon monoxide,..drill a hole on the top somewhere to install a tire valve stem. remove the propane valve and find a fitting that will allow a 1/2 inch tube to be placed thru it long enough to reach 1/2" from the bottom of the tank on the inside when the tank is standing,..or long enough to bend a small radius so it reaches the bottom if it's layed on its side,...if you do this ,.make some wood saddles and strap then to the tank so you know the tube is always on the bottom.
    attach a 1/2" flexible line to this with the gate valve near the end,..or to be redundant put a gate valve at the opening on the tank and the end of the hose.
    You can get a 1.5" threaded weldable nipple and a cap with a rubber gasket for a fill tube ,..to be placed on either the top if standing or side if layed down position..fill the tank with fuel..put the filler cap on tight and charge the tank with 45/50 lbs of air,..instant fuel until the airpressure equals the pressure at the height of the nozzle,..as for gallons of capacity in a 75 lb propane tank I'm gonna guess around 20 Gal.
    I would imagine you'd have to play with the air pressure to find out what pressure would actually push all of the fuel out of the tank to an elevated height of a wing.

If someone had one of these propane tanks ..or knew where they could get one cheap ,..it would be a means for refueling that took only a little ingenuity to build ,.and of course time.

Chase

It is only going to take about two psi to lift gasoline to the wing level. Think for a while about what could happen when you start putting a few pounds of pressure in a fuel tank.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

well I do think about pressure in the tank,..when I get my argon refilled for the welder ,..it's only 2500 psi ,..propane tanks are designed allot like oxy acetolyne tanks,.not as heavy ,..but I'm willing to bet they take 1200 psi all day long
    unless your talking about the pressure going into the aircrafts tanks?

I'm not worried about the tank not holding the pressure. Its the fuel under pressure in the hose and nozzle once the main valve on the tank is open that concerns me.

Murphy's law will prevail and someone will eventually put way to much pressure in the tank. Gasoline is going to spray all over the airplane when you open the nozzle.

Some rough calculations: Specific gravity of gasoline= .74
    Head pressure = PSI/(.434 X .74)
    50 PSI will lift gasoline 150 ft.

Air compressors and fuel tanks don't mix.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

wow you guys are sure making a big deal out of something that you can just take a 5 gal jug http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...segment=badgerup a latter and dump it in a tank. It's not like these planes use a lot of gas. I can usually get two flights out of 5 gals.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-05-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

most fuel lines can handle 45 to 50 lbs of pressure ,.thinking most fuel rails and lines for EFI vehicles are running near 45 psi,..
    I'm willing to bet again that most lines would be able to take up to around 200 lbs psi.
    It was just a thought ,,and if I have a thought ,.I usually think it through pretty good before sharing it
    but I understand your concerns ,..not knowing can cause allot of uncertainty

Chase