Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: horizonal stab/elevator rib stich

Default Re: horizonal stab/elevator rib stich

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    The neat thing about Lowell's rudder trim is there is a complete lack of stuff on the outside which eliminates any unnecessary drag. Simply changes the crown on the rudder to provide a little lift to the side.

On a sidebar, I have a friend back here in "Minnesnowta" who flies an ancient Fairchild highwing with the upside down inline engine. When he went to recover the machine, he became aware of the fact that there was a small grommet hole in the middle of the rudder with a little screw inside. Puzzled about it for the longest time and ..... you guessed it!
    I find this comment fantastic - actually beyond that. After my Phase 1 I decided it was time to see if the system worked. It did and then the "small grommet hole" came to mind. Because, as is generally the case with the rudder trim tab, once it is set, you sort of forget it. That was my experience with the rather "heavy" servo becoming instantly redundant. The thought came to mind that if I were to do it again, it would have a socket head cap screw behind a small hole so that an allen wrench could be used for the trim adjustment.

More Pictures: Much of the hardware geometry was needed to reduce the almost one inch throw of the servo. A screw adjustment could reduce a lot of that, making the system even lighter. The picture showing the top most cam also shows the short length of cable used to hold the two rib tubes together. The last picture shows the light weight aluminum "U" channel that was glued onto the outer surfaces of the carbon fiber ribs to give the flat surface needed for the conventional look after rib lacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel