Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Things to look for when buying a used KF4?

Default Things to look for when buying a used KF4?

I'm taking look at a Kitfox 4 speedster this weekend and it would be my first LSA fabric purchase. Aside for looking at corrosion on the frame, what other things/problem area's should I look for?

The KF4 is a 1998 Speedster with a mid time ROTAX 912 UL 80 hp. Its been ground looped in the past and the landing gear and wing tip was replaced.

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Things to look for when buying a used KF4?

You can probably find lots of info on this very subject using the search function on the top bar. Search pre-buy etc
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Woody,
    I have built 2 Model IVs both with some Speedster mods and it stumped me trying to advise as to what to look for. Then it occurred to me that having an Annual Condition Inspection check-list might help. If you could send me your email address by sending an "email" to me via the private message page on the forum, I could send a copy of my check list. You won't be checking everything, but you could scan the list for some ideas.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Yep take a tape measure check landing gear spread roll forward 6' and check again and pull back and see if numbers are the same if not you will have some work to do when you get it home. You may want to level the plane and check the wash out and dihedral of the wings also due to the ground loop and look at landing gear mount to frame or attachment points to make sure you have no cracks in the weld joints.

If you are able to look inside the wing that had the damage to verify that the wing is not racked. A good hit on the wingtip can bend the diagonal brace tubes in the wing. Another way to perhaps check this is to measure both wing tips from the same point on the tail of the plane. Obviously, both dimentions should be the same. (if they were exactly the same when originally built) JImChuk

Look for damage to the truss under the seat. Many model 4 were built with limit cables attached to the landing gear. The most common undisclosed damage I find is to the the truss that the bungees attach. These cable installed to prevent damage if a bungee breaks. Unfortunately these cables while well intentioned have caused more damage then I think they ever saved. I've done at least 10 prebuys and over half of these had repaired damage to the seat truss.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Woody,
    I have built 2 Model IVs both with some Speedster mods and it stumped me trying to advise as to what to look for. Then it occurred to me that having an Annual Condition Inspection check-list might help. If you could send me your email address by sending an "email" to me via the private message page on the forum, I could send a copy of my check list. You won't be checking everything, but you could scan the list for some ideas.
    Hello, Your private message inbox is full. I'd love a copy!

The annual condition inspection checklist, SS7, is available for download on the Kitfox Aircraft website. Click on "Technical FAQ" then on "Inspection Checklist". Its the same one I use every year.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS