Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Under-seat Storage

Default Under-seat Storage

My kit is a Series V Vixen. I have the Kitfox under-seat storage kit, consisting of two black plastic bins and two polycarbonate covers. As advertised, no hardware came with it. This means no lifting handle for the lid and no hinges. Also, no instructions. Does the mounting flange go on top of the seat or under it? Looks like aluminum piano hinge for the lid. What kind of lift handle (if any) is being used?

Default Re: Under-seat Storage

I just put a 1" finger hole near the front edge of the hinged lids.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Ditto what Jim did with finger hole. Some I’ve seen lately just velcro the cover to the seat bottom cushion. When cushion is removed, cover comes off too.
    I used piano hindge but can’t remember hinge orientation and am away from the project right now.
    Thanks for the info. Good ideas. What about the flange of the black bin; on top of the seat or epoxied to the bottom?

Flange should be on the Bottom - recall that the bins serve as a "butt block" to prevent the seat from coming down on the control rods if the seat should crack.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

The seat storage box appears to be plain old ABS, not a the best candidate for epoxy to the bottom of the seat pan. I am planning to simply rivet using wide rivets & washers. The only wrinkle is that the seat stiffeners run on the sides of the seat underneath and interfere with the flanges on the box, requiring that they be trimmed to almost nothing in places. A friend is recommending the top-mount option for the flange, which would mostly eliminate the problem with the stiffeners.

Any suggestions or photos of other installations ?
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing