Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those days...

Default One of those days...

Well Today would have been much more productive if I didn’t go in the garage. The first thing that happened was the power supply I bought a month ago would not work. I wrote an email asking for a replacement so hopefully that gets sorted.

I then mistakenly threaded an NPT fitting into my oil cooler only to realize after it wouldn’t get very tight until all the threads were engaged that it was in fact M22 threads and I ruined the threads on the oil cooler... hopefully I can weld a new boss on.

After being mad at myself for that, I assembled my injector fittings. I was having clearance problems so I tried some new fittings. Once I was happy that it was going to work I went to take off the fitting so I could apply thread sealant. I didn’t realize the threads were galled until I put a little too much arm behind the wrench and twisted the injector boss. The top is destroyed and the threads may need to be drilled and upsized. If that doesn’t work, I need to weld a new boss on the intake manifold.

After being mad at myself for that, I thought I needed to do something productive. My new oil thermostat came in the mail so I thought I would install that. It was advertised as having brass barbed fittings but when I opened the box they were aluminum. I wasn’t super happy about that but I thought I would use them. I applied thread sealant to the first one and threaded it onto the thermostat. I realized as it started to tighten up that I did not put the sealant far enough down on the threads. As I went to reverse the fitting off the thermostat I realized it would not turn. More muscle and it just budged a little. The aluminum fitting in the aluminum thermostat galled. By the time I got the fitting out, it took half the threads out of the thermostat. Hopefully I can pick up a 3/8” NPT tap and fix it.

As you can see, threads didn’t like me today. I feel like I created a couple days work instead of getting a days work done. I guess it comes with the territory but man can building a plane be frustrating some days...

Hope everyone else has better luck than me this weekend!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: One of those days...

Yep, we've all been there at some stage. Sorry to see that two years worth happened in one day.

Tomorrow will be better.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I have a rule in my shop. If 2 things go wrong I set down my tools and walk out. No matter how much work time is left. The lost work time is less than what it takes to fix the boo boo. I then do some physical work like chopping wood or clearing land. After an hour or so of that I’m ready to work on the plane again.

That is a crummy day Josh. I have no doubt you'll get it all back on the rails though. In the States, we must build our planes solely for education or recreation. Some days it's more the former than the latter.

Some days I'll be working on my project and I'll tell myself it is time to do something else, before I screw something up, and I get up and head to the house.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I can’t resist.............this “thread” sympathizes with you.
    Last edited by Russell320; 02-10-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Russell320 View Post
    I can’t resist.............this “thread” symbolizes with you.
    I see what you did there

Thanks everyone. Not the first thing I’ve broke and won’t be the last. Everyone is correct though, after item number two I should have stopped.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I think there is a message here. Resilience is a virtue. Being able to talk about it says that. My mentor in this is my college instructor Dr. Nguyen. I can still hear him in my mind as he says in his Vietnamese accent, "Dooit oower".
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

"Nothing that money and time won't fix". I've said this a few times.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

"I thought of my friends
    And the troubles they've had
    To keep me from thinking of mine."
    - Warren Zevon
    - Gary