Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building in a garage?

Default Re: Building in a garage?

Agree with all that has been said. Also would highly recommend purchasing the optional toolkit offered by the factory. It gives you most of the oddball stuff at a reasonable price (I think around $175, but don't quote me).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    remember, to fly a kitfox = write a check.

Not sure I follow. What can a person fly without writing a check.

First question I've always asked a ground school class is "what makes an airplane fly" After all the aerodynamic answers from people, I say "NO, money makes an airplane fly"
    Brian

Jeff, what jiott was saying is that if you fly a Kitfox you will want one so just be prepared for that event. It usually only takes one flight to convince a prospective buyer that they have finally found "the" aircraft they've been looking for all their aviation life. Most can't write a deposit check fast enough. Trust us. It's a good thing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm building in 2/3's of a three car garage. Plenty of room. The tip to have everything on wheels is important. After your order the kit, spend your time building rotisseries for the wings and fuselage on Harbor Freight wheels. It's also nice to have a couple of workbenches on wheels - one large to work on and the smaller to collect tools and clutter. Once in awhile, the garage doors are open for a general shuffling of parts.

The quick build wings and pre-fab parts are well worth the cost. I can't imagine how I would have built some of the pre-fab parts. I'll also second the Kitfox tool kit for hard to find items such as really long bits.

Other things I use frequently:
    • Grizzly G7943 Drill Press on bench with wheels
    • 10" Bench Grinder
    • Ryobi Bench Belt Sander
    • Shop Vac
    • Wen Rotary Tool (Dremel Knockoff)
    • Drill Doctor to keep bits sharp
    • A collection of really good bits in both wire and fractional sizes.
    • This forum with a wealth of knowledge from other builders.

Having the project in the garage, rather than a remote site, is very convenient and, for me at least, has kept the project moving.

The build process doesn't really take any special skills. Mostly patience and attention to details are important. At first I kept a detail log of progress and an eye on the potential end date. After a few months I relaxed and am simply enjoying the build. It's a great way to spend your leisure time.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

N85AE was built in a 1 car garage. No problems at all. The WarpDrive prop
    was a problem, and got switched to a Sensenich though ...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKinTX View Post
    As a potential (hopeful?) Kitfox builder, a few questions about the building process:

• Can someone who’s done it share the experience of building in a two-car garage? Obviously, more space would be better, but is it unreasonable to consider a garage build?
    • What’s a ballpark figure for the cost of required tools if one is starting with nothing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff,

I'm about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive East of you, just south of Tyler. If your interested in seeing a project, send me a private message and we'll arrange it.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Jeez, all that horrible snow is making me feel a bit queasy. I was watching a YouTube video earlier with a guy in Canada talking about hangar doors. He had snow falling all around him and I had to go and crack up the air con a bit because it made everything a bit chilly. I think I'm turning into a bit of a wuss and would have to live in Florida if I resided in the States. I would do Arizona but there's not enough airparks.....but it's a dry heat

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    N85AE was built in a 1 car garage. No problems at all. The WarpDrive prop
    was a problem, and got switched to a Sensenich though ...
    Did that prop not clear the door? What was the problem?

I built mine in a 2 1/2 car garage (24 x 26) that left enough room to park my wife's car. Didn't want to start a war. While the fuselage was tucked in a corner, I did the wings and tail feathers first and hung them on the wall, out of the way. I really had more than enough room. The plane is at the airport and my car is also in the garage
    Attached Images Attached Images