Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Question

Default Gotta Question

This morning I went up with a friend to a local airport to look at an Allegro 2000 that is for sale. It has a Rotax 912ULS up front. During the look see, the sales guy pointed out an electrical cord with a typical 3 prong electrical plug and explained it was for a pre-heater to warm the ignition modules.prior to starting - recommended by Rotax. I don't ever remember this being recommended or being discussed on any of the email lists or forums in the 20 + years I have been following Kitfox. Anyone's here use a pre-heater specifically to warm the ignition modules to aid in starting a Rotax engine or ever heard of such a recommendation?
    Last edited by HighWing; 09-11-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: Gotta Question

I have a friend with a ULS in his Savage cub that will not start without preheating the engine compartment. He has destroyed his spraque clutch from trying to start it when cold. The Rotax tech that works on it suggested just heating the modules to see if it would start easier. Maybe this is a similar thing.
    My old UL with the old style ignition is still starting and giving me trouble free operation. No preheating necessary.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I live in cold country and have been around 912 engines for a while.

I have never heard of preheating the ignition modules to aid cold starting.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Heating the modules is the recommended "fix" we use here to get reluctant engine to start,replacing them is the long term solution.

My 912ULS in my Highlander is that way. Get the modules to 50 degrees and it starts great. Below 50 degrees, no start without warming them up.

We need guys in the south to swap modules with those of us in the north. Much less expensive than new modules. Problem solved

is there some sort of electrical patch we can put on each module, after all they are small, that we can just turn on for a few seconds and heat them babies up then start.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea there was a temperature issue with the modules - Live and learn.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I had no idea there was a temperature issue with the modules - Live and learn.
    What is interesting Lowell is that many have heard of hints that point to this but you asking the questions got enough responses to confirm an issue. Would be nice to know if it was a certain series of modules that was later corrected.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    What is interesting Lowell is that many have heard of hints that point to this but you asking the questions got enough responses to confirm an issue. Would be nice to know if it was a certain series of modules that was later corrected.
    I am really intrigued by the idea. In some ways it seems mystifying. I checked with a close friend who has about 1500 hours in a Model IV behind one of the very early Rotax 912 ULSs. Coincidentally, he had an engine compartment fire last winter from a pre heat incident - the main reason for the question. This is his response.

"It works great, even better with a full moon. LOL"

This guy had a career in aerospace and he is the one that developed the start procedure I use on my UL
    Throttle full out
    Ignitions off
    Choke pull out
    Crank 10 seconds or so
    Add about a half turn of throttle
    Ignitions on
    Choke pull out
    Crank
    It will start on the first compression stroke and run smoothly even after sitting six months.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell
    Well this morning I had a chance to test this module heating idea. Temp about 5 C aircraft hangered.
    I use the module off,crank for oil pressure with choke on, modules on, choke and start procedure always with a cold engine.
    Anyway it did not even try to fire after multiple attempts.
    Ran a heat gun through the front air intake for about 5 minutes and and warmed the modules. It fired up first turn. Go figure!!!
    1996 912 UL with 750 hours.
    Sweet.
    Don