Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Lines from Tanks?

Default Fuel Lines from Tanks?

According to a 1992 Skystar Service Letter #22, I understand NO FILTERS have been recommended in fuel lines from fuel tanks to header tank. Also according to this Skystar Service Letter, FUEL SHUTOFF VALVES are not recommended either. Has anything changed since then? So far, I have eliminated the fuel filters however I am reluctant to take out the individual fuel tank shutoff valves if I don't need to. I also am considering upsizing my supply lines from 5/16 to 3/8 to improve fuel flow. *My setup is on a Vixen Model 5 which I think is the same or similar to the current Model 7.

Any info or options are appreciated.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Fuel Lines from Tanks?

Skot , how many hours were flown with the Vixen before you removed the inline filters?

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Skystar who?

They are no longer the people making things safe.

I have fuel shutoffs both tanks then clear cleanable filters both tanks.

Keep the fuel clean , drain your sumps, no worries.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I don't know how many hours were flown with the old inline fuel filters in place. There is no documentation I can find about the filters.

My concern is generated by the initial fuel flow test failure in which a metal mesh (clear housing) filter was installed in each fuel line located between fuel shutoff and header. In my test case, with each wing tank about half full and each shutoff valve turned on, there was NO fuel filling the header tank (even though the main console mounted fuel valve was on & fuel line to engine driven fuel pump was ready to drain fuel into a gas can). I am speculating the air in the fuel filters was not hydraulically conducive to promoting a solid, uninterrupted fuel stream. As proof of this conclusion, after removing both fuel filters I got a (gravity only) fuel flow of about 15 GPH.

So, are current production Kitfoxes equipped with fuel tank shutoff valves and inline fuel filters? Fuel shutoff valves only and no filters?

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

my SS7 has only a finger strainer in the tank. Open fuel lines all the way to the header and open fuel line to the fuel shut off valve.
    Eddie

My 1999 Vixen has individual ball valve shut offs between the wingtanks and header tank. I removed the inline filter between the fuel pump and the carbs and installed a gascolator at the low point on the engine side of firewall.
    740 hours now with no issues. I strongly believe in purchasing non ethenol unleaded fuel from a reliable source. I have yet to get any water during preflight checks.

In my experience, the fuel flow set-up from the wing tanks to the header tanks is one of the most "To each his own" discussions in both the old email lists and the forums. Personally, I see no reason for the possible restrictions resulting from fuel shut off valves, but I do like the clear glass fuel filters. I like the filters because I can see the fuel. The one time I did the actual in flight low fuel indicator system check, I was able to see a lot because of the translucent vent lines and the fuel filters. The fuel valves between wing tanks and header tank originally began appearing in the fleet because of the typical uneven fuel flow from the two tanks which bothered some of the guys. One particular time comes to mind on one of our cross country flights when a new guy to the group flew from No. Callif. and joined us at Elk River in Idaho. He was almost beyond panic because of what he was seeing in the sight gauges. The group got busy and undid his system enough to do a fuel flow test. No problem - at all. What he was seeing was likely due to the typical one wing low flight tendency in our airplanes. I never paid attention to it because it always evened out in the end. This, I guess, due to the two or three long cross country flights each year in company with the flying buddies, none of whom had valves other than the main shut off valve. (For maintenance needs , I simply use clamps.)
    Last edited by HighWing; 08-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

About a week ago, I did a fuel flow test on my Avid MK IV. I have fuel valves, then 1/4" fuel lines from both wing tanks to the header tank with no filters in those lines. From the header tank forward, I have a 1/4" ID fuel line, an electric fuel pump, and a fuel filter under the instrument panel, and a fuel valve there as well. 1/4" ID fuel line from that valve to the single Bing carb on the Jabiru engine. With about 7 gallons in the right tank, and left tank shut off, I measured about 7.5 gallons of fuel flow per hour with gravity feed. I had the float bowl off and captured the fuel as it came out the bottom of the carb. Kind of shows to me that 3/8" line would be very large. I would not put a filter between the wing tank and header tank. Had one off field landing because of that. You most likely have fuel screens in your fuel tank, the header tank is a large gascolator, and having a filter ahead of that to capture anything the header tank and fuel screen missed seems like a good idea to me. But as was mentioned, to each his own. Also, if you have the ram air tubes on your fuel tank caps, that will increase your fuel flow while in flight compared to just gravity feed. I'm guessing you have a fuel pump in the mix as well..... JImChuk

Hi Jim
    When I did my fuel flow test 6 years ago I remember blocking up the main wheels and tying down the tail in order to simulate a maximum climb profile. Don't recall the exact flow rate but it was considerably more than a 912 can use. I could check records.
    I do have finger screens. Never found anything in them.
    Shut offs are ball valves with same bore size as the hose.
    I have a master shut off on the consul ahead of the header tank.
    I have the standard 912 mechanical fuel pump.
    I do not have an electric auxiliary pump. I have always thought in the event of a pump failure that gravity feed would supply at least enough fuel for sustained flight.
    No I have not done a flow test at the carbs.
    Am I mistaken thinking the fuel will flow through a faulty pump.
    This should invoke an interesting discussion.
    Looking forward to others experience.
    Don

My 912 had a pump failure that restricted the fuel flow, it kept running at low power.I didn't see the dismantled pump but was told a valve part had separated and restricted the flow.I now run a one way valve that will allow the electric pump to bypass the original if this happens again.