Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Jacks and Stands for Model 7

Default Lifting Jacks and Stands for Model 7

With a stretch of inclement weather I decided to get stuck in to a project that I have wanted to do since building - making a set of solid and effective lifting jacks/stands. I know there are many ways people jack their aircraft but just though I would share the result for those interested. The results are below in the photos.

The design parameters were as follows:
    1. solid, no risk of falling
    2. adjustable to enable levelling of aircraft
    3. tail lift to be moveable so that when tail is up in level flight position the aircraft can be manoeuvred in the hanger
    4. low cost

I started at the local tip where I found some good thick walled galvanised pipe, some 6mm plate ( old BBQ plate) and some 2" flat bar. I bought three 2000kg bottle jacks at the local tool store for $36 ea on special. A bit of welding, drilling and 2 rattle cans of paint later and I am really pleased with the results. The tail stand jacks on the tail wheel spring and has a channel to positively locate it and keep it 'locked'. The forward stands jack on the undercarriage attach points and have two holes drilled in the RHS to positively locate the lift points over the two undercarriage bolts - again 'locking' the lift point. I get some extra muscle to help lift the tail onto the tail stand and then slide the fwd stands into position before jacking the front wheels off the ground. The the tail stand can be jacked to achieve 'level'. I am very happy with the result and the aircraft feels extremely 'solid' when off the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: Lifting Jacks and Stands for Model 7

Looks solid and secure Ross. Nice.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Nice work Ross.
    I would suggest you make the tailstand bottle jack easily removable from the tall stand so it can be moved under the tailwheel spring and jack the tail a few inches off the ground by one man, without the extra muscle. I find many times when I want the tail up off the ground, but don't need it way up level.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Very Nice! Just in case you haven't considered it. Be sure not to swing a wing back without the main wheels on the floor. You could jack up the mains once both wings were folded back.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

G'day Jim - I have a chain block attached to the roof beams - a lifting strap is used under the tail to bring it up to stand height if no extra bodies around! Gone are the muscle man days of lifting awkward weights!!! Spent too many days in bed with a sore back, besides, we are supposed to get wiser as we ripen! Good point Tom. Safety is what it is all about!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Those look very nice Ross.
    What compels you to three point the airframe. Probably most people don't do that Im guessing. Im inquiring so that I know how many bottle jacks and welding classes are ahead?
    Eddie

Hi Eddie.

1. Rigging requires you to level the aircraft fore/aft/side to side. Big fat soft tyres move a fair bit.

2. It is an easy way to change remove a wheel.

3. Its easy to 'retread' the tyres using herculiner

4. I like to jack it up when I go away for a time to avoid the flat spots that happen on the tyres.

5. Jacking up the tail is really nice when working on the aircraft as it takes the flapperons out of nose/eye/head contact range

there are probably other reasons ?????

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ah yes, i still need to install flapperons and rig those. Hadn't thought of how it's different now with fabric over the hard points I used before cover.

Very nice! Well thought out and executed. Mike

The jacks would make it pretty easy to do a weight & balance.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas