Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dynon AoA/Pitot Tube Fittings

Default Dynon AoA/Pitot Tube Fittings

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the AN part numbers/description for the fittings that attach to the 3/16" pitot and AoA aluminium tubes that stick out the top of the Dynon combined AoA/pitot tube.

I'm sitting here looking at loads of blue AN fittings but really don't know which ones I need if I want to attach 1/4" poly tubing to the aluminium pipes on the probe.

Thank you
    Last edited by PaulSS; 07-24-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Default Re: Dynon AoA/Pitot Tube Fittings

Ah, Google is your friend

I was going to delete the post above but then realised there would be an empty thread on the Forum. Instead I offer you the Google result, just in case anyone else ever needs some part numbers:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the post Paul. We'll leave it so others can search and locate this for future use.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Well, it just so happens that I may be in need of those. my tubes slip right into the 1/4 pitot tubes. I was going to use clamps to secure them on. It seems I would have got some other sort of fasteners from the factory if they are necessary. Would I be doing shoddy work by just clamping them on?
    Eddie

I pushed mine on and they work fine...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! An hour and a half ago I was sitting out in my shop with an A/C Spruce catalog trying to figure out how to make that exact same connection for a pitot tube. I decided I needed to sleep on it to find the solution. Then I get on the forum. WOW ! Thanks a lot excellent timing.

Glad to have been of some help

I did find the Spruce Aircraft parts to be a bit cheaper than SteinAir but SteinAir have more 'push-fit' options, so I went with them for all the bits that I needed/think I might need. They also gave free international first class shipping, so I've probably saved more in the posting than I would have saved by buying from Aircraft Spruce.

Edited to add: during my investigation of these fittings it became apparent that the 'sleeve' (AN819-3D) that fits into/onto the aluminium tube doesn't slide into the tube. Instead the tube has to be flared, having first put on the 'nut' (AN818-3D) and then the sleeve sits on the flared end before it is secured with the nut. Luckily I have a mate who's an RV builder and they use these fittings for a bunch of their fuel lines, so the flares have to be clean and accurate to avoid fuel leaking all over the place. He has a flaring tool that I'm able to use but it might be worth seeing if there are any RV builders around you to avoid having to buy the tool for two 10-second jobs.

I was also wondering about using just a straight push-fit connector to go from the aluminium tube to the pipe. It certainly works with copper to plastic pipe in the plumbing trade, so I don't see why it couldn't with the low pressure that's in the pitot/AoA tubes (plus plenty of trucks use them for hydraulic fittings, so we know they're man enough for the job). I suppose the only snag is getting a push-fit connector that goes from 3/16" to 1/4" (aluminium tube to poly pipe). I also wish everyone could get along with millimetres because these fractions of an inch are kicking my arse
    Last edited by PaulSS; 07-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Yep, know what you mean. A bunch of my measurements for my panel cut outs are in millimeter and I don't own metric rulers.
    Eddie