Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used BRS advice wanted. model 4

Default Buying a used BRS advice wanted. model 4

I have a model 4 under construction, and it has been converted to a nose gear type, with a pretty heavy engine installed. I figured I could counterweight the craft with a ballistic parachute installation behind or above the seat (and add some safety). I already have grove gear on it, so the gear should handle the extra weight on landing. What should I be looking for or watching out for buying a used BRS system? Top mount would preserve the cabin space, but add wind drag, yes? Any other comments welcome too.
    thanks
    Roger

Default Re: Buying a used BRS advice wanted. model 4

HI Roger,

Maybe it is just me, but I would be leery of using anything other than a factory new BRS.

Traceability of the critical components, like the rocket, as well as how it was stored and treated since new have some potential for affecting reliability.

The rocket is time limited and needs to be replaced once it reaches that limit.

It is entirely possible that a person could snap up a used unit, get the critical parts replaced and be good to go - but a person has to consider the total price and correct size unit for the weight of the plane.

I used to fly out of KSGS where the company is located, Have been in their place and they have been in my hangar (although I do not have a BRS unit in our plane). They have built 'chutes for just about every model of kitfox and they are not all the same.

Weather getting a used or new one - I'd certainly recommend giving the company a call to be sure you get the right sized unit and up to date expendables. There are also some variables as to where to locate the rocket exit - some applications blow it out the top and some blow it out the side.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have an out of date 1200 lb BR$ shute that came out of a Kitfox 4. Not sure that they will improve the CG a tremendous amount however. The plane this came from had a Subaru engine and at least 10 lbs of weight in the tail. If you want to discuss the chute, you can give me a call at 218 two five four 2404. Thanks, JImChuk

Default Re: Buying a used BRS advice wanted. model 4 - solution found?

Ok, so I think I figured out a solution to my BRS problem. I will mount a VLS type to the top of the cabin. BRS makes a fiber glass boxed unit, designed for mount on top of the wing. It has a hard fiberglass case, and is fairly aerodynamic. It measures 18" long, and 11" wide, 8" tall.
    Ok, so what's the big solution here? I will mount the unit hanging 1/2 way off the rear spar. This will shift my CG back, and also give a solid mount for the unit, with the addition of a smaller lateral tube, just in front of the rear spar. With this mounting, the unit will sit somewhat inside the cabin, so the top window will be cut around the BRS unit, reducing drag from the BRS.

To work this out, I made a cardboard model, mounted it and got inside the fuse. The BRS didn't block the view much, and didn't seem to offer any head-banging interference with the pilot. Now this all sounds kind of, well.. experimental, so I am currently trying to get the fiberglass shell and mount from the manufacture, to do a real world mock-up, and to make sure the folding wings won't hit the unit. If the mounting works, then it becomes the plan moving forward. Note: As the project will take some time to complete, and the chute or rocket will age out during this period, doing this way will ensure a full service time on the chute and rocket, as I could buy a new complete replacement unit BRS, right before the first flight.

What do you think, is it a plan?
    Roger

While the safety benefits of a BRS do make sense, I can't bring myself to add that much weight to my plane. I'm not going to do acro, I have instrument training, and if I make prudent flying decisions, I hope the need for one will be greatly diminished.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yes, I understand your position on a BRS.

After the propeller broke off my Zenith 601, I decided I should include one on my next project. Fortunately, only the prop broke, and not the whole engine mount ( she sure was shaking though...), so I glided down 6K to a normal grass landing in a soybean field. Ok, you might argue that I didn't actually need a BRS, as I am still here writing this today, but at the time, I would have paid $100K to have one aero-ly installed....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    HI Roger,

Maybe it is just me, but I would be leery of using anything other than a factory new BRS.
    So true. When (if) you pull that handle, you want to work and work it right.

Having the parachute installed and actually using when needed, it is a complete different story. I have seen many cases where during an emergency which a parachute was appropriate, it was forgotten.

So, part of your departure when you take off, make sure as part of your checklist (parachute available)

For instance, after departure I do (Flaps, Chute, Maps) and touch the handle as part of my routine.

BRS has agreed to send me a their Vertical Launch model Fiberglass case and mounting brackets, for my mock up test. However, they made me pay a $250 deposit on it.....
    Well it's better than forking over $6000 bucks just to find out it won't work.
    I will send some pics once I get it installed (which I have been informed is after I finish the siding & deck work for the wife....)
    Roger

I was just looking at their softpack chutes as well. Maybe one of them could be made to work with a tear away panel behind the turtle deck. Or maybe even through the turtle deck. If the soft pack chute is inside of the plane and protected from the elements, it's got the same repack schedule as the enclosed chutes. JImChuk
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ster1350SP.php

Since the Kitfox has folding wings, one of the failure modes on the Kitfox is that the wings might fold back in flight, which would cover the turtle deck area, and the aft portion of the fuse (unlikely, yes, but technically possible I suppose). The other mode is that the lower fuse wing strut attachment bracket might detach, also possibly folding a wing panel over the turtle deck and onto the rear fuse. For these reasons, bottom or side parachute deployments have been used in the past. However, most of these installs will damage the fabric on deployment, whereas a top mounting would hopefully only tear off the top window, which is much easier to fix. Also, you might be more likely to use the handle if you knew the plane would not be damaged much during deployment, but who is to say, as you might just parachute down into a boiling hot spring, or something like that.