Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar & Introduction

Default Tow Bar & Introduction

Hello!

Two reasons for post, one to introduce myself, and two to seek some advice and expertise.

I am a military pilot stationed up north, and have been in and around aviation since I was a boy. My grandfather and father in law are both owners/builders and by exposure, have pushed me to purchase my first aircraft!

I am a helicopter pilot by trade, but have an extensive background in fixed wing as well. A couple of years ago, after a long deployment, and after flying had become a "job" to me, my father in law pushed me to take his newly purchased Kitfox around the patch. I was hesitant at first, as there was no dual instruction (single seat) and we pulled the damn thing to the local field with his hatch back. The rest is history. I was in love. It really brought something back into the flying equation that had been missing after a couple thousand hours of military aviation.

Which brings me to my next subject. I am currently looking to purchase an S7, and have a couple of transportation/dimension questions. I didn't realize it back then, but part of the charm the Kitfox brings to the table is the portability.

I live three miles from the local grass strip. It's all paved, low traffic, and the local police allow any manner of vehicle on the road (from ATVs to farm machinery). I would like to tow the Kitfox to the field (daylight only) and by pulling it with my truck. I want to fabricate something along the line of the pictured tow apparatus, but obviously customize it to my application.

So....I know there is a ton of wisdom, and experience on this board (I've been lurking for a year) and would like to hear your thoughts.

1) Daylight only
    2) Low traffic
    3) 45 and below
    4) Local police are excellent and do not care
    5) Summer only solution while I customize an enclosed, long distance trailer for my next change of station.

6) Could someone measure from the front of the main landing gear tire to the rear with wings folded this weekend or when the chance presents itself?

Okay....Please let the comments flow.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to meeting/talking to you guys in the coming months.

-Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Tow Bar & Introduction

Your idea as pictured wouldn't work on a Kitfox... however, on the earlier model Kitfoxes and I believe it is still a part of the design, there are two through tubes in the lower rear fuselage that can be used to connect a tow bar that will extend 5 to 7 feet beyond the tail. The reason it needs to go beyond the tail is, when folded, the wings extend a few feet past the rudder. The earlier models came with the tow bar, mine is leaning against the wall of my hangar.

Ralph

This video shows the early KitFox in tow. The tow is at the 6min 10sec or so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IOSUaz2uFI
    My Model IV has the holes in the side.
    Great story how the flying became a job but the Kitfox made it fun again. There are a couple of airline pilots in our club that refound the love of flying with a KitFox. One said "Why didn't I do this years ago". Welcome
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

look at the sticky on the top of the general discussion page titled Loading and unloading Kitfox SS7 on a trailer. My son made the video. I have moved the A/C to and from the local airport (2 miles one way) for three years and have had no issues. Some of the old style tow bars used the two lower feed through tubes. However, after trailering many times I think towing with the A/C wheels on the ground for any distance on public roads is fraught with danger. It is very easy to put excessive stress on the rear portion of the fuselage.

I'm not a Kitfox owner..........yet..........but getting close. I've seen several pics of small boat trailers being converted to Kitfox trailers.
    If the set up in the above picture won't work, why not fashion a small tow dolly that the tail wheel will sit on and you can extend a tonue from it as long as needed, shouldn't be hard to do, just a thought. Good Luck
    Brian

Guys- Thanks for the quick responses! I am going down this weekend to take a look at it.

Norm- Excellent video. EXACTLY what I am looking to do. I think if I extend the tongue far enough, the wing clearance shouldn't be an issue for 1-2 mile trips to the airport.

This winter though, I plan to fashion an enclosed trailer to fit my needs.

I can't wait!!

-Alex

I did it all the time with my Model 4 when I lived about 2 miles from a grass strip. Kept it in my garage and saved a ton. Could still do it today if I needed.

The attached drawing is designed for the model 4, but you get the idea.

Yesterday I was measuring my ss7 to start planning for a trailer to go the 3 miles to my airport. I was at first planning to do the tow bar but realized that a trailer would give me long range capability also for the same amount of work. My plane is stock except for 8.50x6 21" main gear tyres. These are random measurements you get to sort them out
    Main wheel axel to wing tip folded 213.5"
    Allow 3-4 feet extra tongue length for turning the trailer
    Wheels. Outside to outside 85.5"
    Center to center. 75.75"
    Inside to inside. 67.5.
    These measurements are allowing for the tilt of the tyres with the plane complete without fuel.
    I figured the wheel platforms to be hanging down from the trailer frame down to 6" from the ground. 18x36"long with a hinged ramp also 18x36" on the back of the platform. When hinged up an secured it will lock the tyre in place while maintaining the cushiness of the tyre.
    My old trailer frame is 50" wide so there is plenty of clearance with the gear legs. The 50" width doesn't contact the gear legs till 22" off the floor.
    The back of the trailer needs to extend at lest 60" behind the gear axel to get the prop inside the trailer. That's with a 912 uls.
    The plane has its tail toward the tow vehicle.
    The main wheel should be as low as possible and the tail wheel elevated to close to flying height to reduce the weight on the tail wheel. It's possible to bend the tail portion of the fuse from road bumps.
    This leaves a nice space between the rudder and under the wing tips where a smal motorcycle might fit, crosswise.
    A extra fuel tank could go on top of the axel with a channel track for the tail wheel going over the fuel tank.
    Use a boat trailer winch to pull the plane up onto the trailer. Attach the strap to the tail springs. A u strap behind the tail wheel would keep it from swiveling.

For me that was real wordy. Sorry. If you need other measurements ASK. These are my thoughts and they may not all work for you. Roble ( Rainbird)

Here's my setup. 15 minutes to taxi.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

That's a very nice looking rig Ken. Looks to be zinc coated. Do you get any road stones, gravel etc thrown up ?.
    David
    SS7 Builder