Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flaperons

Default flaperons

Hi Guys,

I am ready to either install the weights on the flaperons but the next step is the linkage setup using the wood blocks for correct angles. It seems to me I should not put the weights on until after setting up the linkage as the weights could just get in the way. Am I missing something here or is there a reason to put the counter weights on first.

Default Re: flaperons

Going off memory I think I did the weights last but that was already a couple years ago (time flies) so I cant remember exactly.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

No reason to put the weights on first-they will get in the way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just did it last month. Do them after. I had to re do the control arm after installing the weight and it is just in the way. Bad measuring on my part. So, Maybe Im the only one who has done it both ways.
    Eddie

What part of this build did you measure wrong, it does seem a bit critical in the set up. I hope to cut the wood blocks today and do the build tomorrow. Any insight from anyone would be helpful.

From my experience, the hardest part of holding that control arm measurement is when you drill the first hole. Your measurement can be very precise, but when you put pressure on the drill it seems to want to move. So my advice would be to have some way of securely holding the assembly during the drilling. Once that first hole is drilled and clecoed then the rest is no problem.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My control arm measurement ended up a little off for reasons stated below, but it seems to have no effect on the way it actually flies. So don't overstress yourselves on this.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim is exactly correct. That happened to me on the first one as well but I also had mine inserted too far. Had to weld four holes closed and new ones drilled. Honestly, after seeing where everything hooks up, my mistake would probably not have been a big deal.

I recall that I predrilled the arms. If you follow the manual and block under the arm, it's not a big deal. I also felt that the whole process was intimidating but ended up being uneventful.

Tim is correct. You can, and should block beneath the arm but be sure to secure the arm down to the bench also. What happened was it lifted out of the shallow groove made to allow the arm to have the correct measurement.. It takes very little lift from the drilling to negate that minor groove you made.