Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Criag's new Kitfox across OZ

Default Re: Criag's new Kitfox across OZ

Hi Ross, you have all the fun! Have a safe trip
    Regards
    Tom

Ross, do you just land on roads and pull up to the pumps?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Excellent!

Another Fox to drop in and see in our part of Victoria.

Regarding the twitchy-ness... I learnt in the IV so never knew how different it was to other taildraggers until I started adding more aircraft to my logbook.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    I wish I took a flew lessons from you before emarking - it is rather different to the 7!! Very twitchy on landing and brakes - nearly ground looped it on my first landing expecting to be equally docile to mine - learning - I guess you will be over on the 26th if not before?

ross

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Ross, do you just land on roads and pull up to the pumps?
    There are various bits of the east-west road that are available as runways but these are there more for the Royal Flying Doctors Service and any fuel etc might be stored in one of the local communities.

For 'normal' flights, the fuel is available close to the co-located airstrip and a short taxy to the pumps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today's trip was from Ceduna on the east end of the bigh to Swan Hill on the Murray. Whyalla and Renmark on the way. Landings at WOnly 195nm tomorrow to home!

Josh, as Paul described. In outback OZ most pubs and roadhouse have a strip of some sort out the back and they are happy for you taxi around to the bowsers. The road is useful if the winds are strong.

Anyway, a few pics - not that interesting but gives you an idea of the change in landscapes along the way - a lot of wheat and barley being harvested- tomorrow as I fly up our valley it will be very green!

getting a bit tired now - about 6 hours flying a day in pretty remote areas! But nothing a nice cold beer will not cure!

cheers for now.

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Another great adventure for you Ross. Will have to catch up with Gayle and yourself soon. Cheers. JC.

Happy travels and enjoy the coastline views.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Looks like you've had a great trip, Ross, even if you are now feeling the affects of it. Some lovely photos of a great country and I'm envious of your journey.

On to my second love.......did you see any tuna around Ceduna (there's a demersal ban in my neck of the woods, so I might have to go hunting something else now the Dhuies and Snapper are off limits until mid December)

Craig's new Kitfox is safely back at its new home in Mt Beauty, Vic!

This morning was a leisurely 196nm from Swan Hill in the early morning. It was great to turn the corner into the home valley and had a nice welcoming party on arrival! 1660nm in 3.5 days across Australia. That makes three crossings of the Australian continent in a Kitfox this year and I am am claiming the record for the number of crossings of Australia in a Kitfox this year! (Unless one of you guys have been secretly criss crossing our nation without us knowing!?)

to Jim: Get that hay baled so you can come over on the 26th!

To Tom: Good to hear you are back from Russia - coming down on the 26th?

to Jono: Bring yours over for comparison!

To Dave: Hope it inspired you for your build!

To Chris: No tuna - just Whales a sharks and a heap of guys in the middle of nowhere fishing the beaches!

Now it is over to Craig to start sharing his adventures - but he is still in the US and Canada so I guess I will have to start it every few days just to maintain it.

A few pics of the last leg this mornng - my favourite is turning into our home valley!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Nice trip Ross,

Mt. Beauty is looking like it is becoming the mecca of Kitfoxing in Oz. Can I throw a hammock in your hangar and hangout there for a week? lol
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3