Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Sierra Fly in video

Default Re: High Sierra Fly in video

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Your kidding right? Looks like another Spectacular video from my computer. Maybe it's my old eyes but I think it's great.
    Can you tell me the rules for the Stol Drag. Looks like an interesting event.
    Great Video.
    Thanks Norm!

And it looks like you found the info but the basics are 2 planes race at a time. There are 2 lines 3/4mile apart. Planes start on one line, flag drops, planes take off and land on or beyond the line at the other end (coming up short will yield a penalty of 3sec/10ft short). After landing the planes must come to a complete stop on heading (no ground loops), once flagged that you have stopped completely you spin around, take back off and race to the start/finish line. Land on or beyond that line. First plane to come to a stop wins!

It's a very interesting event because it levels the playing field between a lot of heavy and lightweight airplanes.

Probably one of the Best Top Five Kitfox videos ever!! Love it! Thanks for putting it together and sharing it!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by trentp View Post
    First plane to come to a stop wins!

It's a very interesting event because it levels the playing field between a lot of heavy and lightweight airplanes.
    I noticed you and the cub Slip through part of the course. Is that to stop sooner.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I noticed you and the cub Slip through part of the course. Is that to stop sooner.
    Yeah, to slow down from full cruise speed down to landing speed as quick as possible.

He was doing it too early though. I found that the longer I stayed at full speed the faster my overall time was. Its just a balancing act of not staying on the power too long and then overshooting the line and taking up more time by going further than necessary. Ideally you would be at full cruise until the last second possible, then pull the power, slip to get rid of speed rapidly, pull flaps while still in a slip and straighten out of the slip right at touchdown speed right at the line. Then as soon as you touch down get rid of flaps and grab as much brake as you can safely.

Its a blast!

Great job of showing the Cub the true value of a KitFox. Half to a third the price of a Carbon cub with most of the performance. I think I will forward the video to a friend that flys a Carbon Cub.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by trentp View Post
    Yeah, to slow down from full cruise speed down to landing speed as quick as possible.

He was doing it too early though. I found that the longer I stayed at full speed the faster my overall time was. Its just a balancing act of not staying on the power too long and then overshooting the line and taking up more time by going further than necessary. Ideally you would be at full cruise until the last second possible, then pull the power, slip to get rid of speed rapidly, pull flaps while still in a slip and straighten out of the slip right at touchdown speed right at the line. Then as soon as you touch down get rid of flaps and grab as much brake as you can safely.

Its a blast!

While you make it sound so simple, I am sure a cockpit mounted camera would show you with very busy hands and feet!
    Thanks for sharing the video. Next best thing to being there.

Nice Trent! I'm going to guess that Kaleo is in your top played music right now! I wonder if AirMasters Beta cycles fast enough to help you brake after touchdown...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3