Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

Default Re: Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

Ooh, this is a good one; I've experienced the same grasping-to-grok stare at the word "Experimental" gracing the struts of my Speedster from some Young Eagles' parents at one time or another. I carefully grounded my answer around the disclaimer statement on the panel that says, "...This aircraft does not meet the construction criteria set for 'certified' aircraft...IT EXCEEDS THEM!" (Take THAT spam-canners!)

I have to agree with Flybyjim's very astute observation that the word "experimental" may be trending a tad toxic to our cause in the eye of the general public with the NTSB's widely broadcast concerns for GA's flight safety record. With the current touchy-feely trend in political correctness favoring assuaging "public perceptions" by using pre-chewed pablum to soften the news, we might want to dip in that direction a bit to assuage their collective fear of a garage-built aircraft falling on their backyard bar-be-ques. The general press hasn't been helping us with half-baked torts of misinformation designed to curry headlines instead of rational thought either.

While I think DF4's suggestion of "Dreamland" really sets my hair on fire (remind me to tell you about the real "Dreamland, aka R-4808 N, in the middle of Nevada some time...) I'm thinking more along Danzer1's lines by stressing the "custom" aspect over anything "experimental" that the non-flying public (the poor sensitive dears) might feel uncomfortable with.

Emphasizing the academic/educational aspects of our vocation/avocation (the difference lies between the McBeans and the rest of us! ) would seem to garner a more sophisticated stance in the public's eye. To that end I would add "Custom Campus" to Danzer1's list. Either that or name the area in question the "Developmental Division."

And the rest of us can just wink and call it "Dreamland" anyway!

"E.T."

Good morning,

Good to get some more thoughts out here on this one.

I think it is real important for us to hold off judging any proposals for now....we need to get as many options voiced as possible and give John a looooong list to work with......time to keep thinking and have at it.

One item which might be worth keeping in mind is separating naming of the location from the terms experimental, EAB etc. as memorialized in rule and policy per the legal jargon the FAA has - we're never going to change that but we can rename our turf. We can better market our sport by using language we do have influence over which highlights the very positive contribution of the activity we find so fascinating and inspiring.

Tossing one into the ring......."Innovation Headquarters"
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

A small group of local pilots, our A&P and an IA have been having mind twisting discussions over the past few months trying to come up with creative ways to increase our airplanes performance. After reading these posts I realized that's what most of us here at Teamkitfox are constantly doing. It's like an extended Flight Advancement Center. So here's some names to throw on the perverbial barn wall:
    Flight Advancement Center
    Advanced Flight Center
    Center for the Advancement of Flight
    Flight Technology Center (FTC)
    Areo Technology Center (ATC)

OK, I'm out. My brain is now exploding. I'm going flying....
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I like the idea of calling it the " Custom built" area. That title says it all in my opinion as it indicates they are aircraft built by someone, but custom built. So it makes one think of "High Quality" rather than "Experimental" which by comparison sounds unproven and dangerous.

That's my vote.

Paul Seehafer

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    I like the idea of calling it the " Custom built" area. That title says it all in my opinion as it indicates they are aircraft built by someone, but custom built. So it makes one think of "High Quality" rather than "Experimental" which by comparison sounds unproven and dangerous.

That's my vote.

Paul Seehafer
    You get my vote Paul , with "Custom built" , That phrase denotes quality when you hear it in other areas like homebuilding or furniture etc. It translates well to the public. Bruce N199CL

I keep thinking of "Lifetime Achievements" since it takes some of us so long to finish, if ever. Setting that joke aside, I tell many acquaintances that I build experimental airplanes and then fly them.

I see nothing wrong with "Experimental". It conjures up more than just dangerous. It also defines an area that is not the typical spam can even though many many experimental aircraft are difficult to sort from certified planes on looks alone. Don't forget what EAA stands for...

Great responses! Keep them coming.. The reason I posted this to the Kitfox Forum was simple.. We all own that space in one fashion or another.. It represents all of us..

So here is a compilation of what has been posted so far.. If I missed any let me know...

Airborne Customs
    Bicycle Shop
    Kitplane Corner
    Dreamland
    Builders Central
    Custom Built
    Custom Craft
    Custom Corner
    Custom Built Corner
    Constructors Road
    Constructors Alley
    Experimentals
    Custom Campus
    Developmental Division
    Innovation Headquarters
    Flight Advancement Center
    Center for the Advancement of Flight
    Flight Technology Center
    Aero Technology Center
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I like Flight Technology Center, which implies serious commitment to science & technology resulting in a serious flying machine.
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I looked over the list trying to put a couple of suggestions together and it hit me...

We register our planes as EAB and we are required to decal our creations with "Experimental". How about "EAB Experimental Aircraft Builders".

Here in South Africa, they are called Non Type Certified aircraft, I would therefore suggest you call it The NTC area.
    New Technology Centre
    New Types Centre
    OR:
    Aeronautical Progression Area
    Progressive aviation Centre
    Unique Design Centre
    Progressive design Centre
    Personal progression Centre
    Personal Aviation Design
    Modern Aviation Area
    Modern Aviation Design-MAD
    Personal Aviation Advancement/Progress
    Personal Design Advancement

One could substitute Personal with Private in all the above.