Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

Default Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

We think we finally have an ear at EAA and have been offered to rename the North Aircraft Display to something that might be more appropriate and actually get it in the literature and finally on the map. Before you ask, EAA doesn't really like the North Aircraft Display as a name.. mainly because it doesn't reflect what is displayed... although some don't like the term Experimental or Homebuilt for the image that it portray's to the uninitiated...

Now be kind.. but we would like to solicit the groups ideas for a good name.

Looking forward to your responses...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Default Re: Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

What do we have so far? Warbirds, Ultralights, Seaplane and ? Did the EAA not start referring to "homebuilts" as Custom Built years ago since homebuilt had that questionable connotation?. How's Airborne Customs?

"The Bicycle Shop" as a homage to Wilbur and Orville creating in the space they had just as many of us do. In retrospect, I think that may just end up confusing people...

How about Kitplane Corner? Lots of people are used to the idea of Kit Cars and 99% of the manufacturers mostly sell kits instead of plans. Sounds more reputable than experimental or amateur built...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

" Dreamland".

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

"So far away you need a golf cart to get there"
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'd call it Builder's Central.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I'd go with Custom Built, Custom Craft or Custom Corner.

Constructors Road or Constructors Alley.
    David
    SS7 Builder

"Experimentals"

I think this is great that John has put this question out there for all of us to consider. I am on a couple other kit plane forums and this has not appeared in any of those. Thanks John.

I do believe this could be the first step in a transition of some different view points of National EAA. I was at a leadership conference a while back at Oshkosh representing chapter presidents/leaders and the subject of the word Expermental was very much in the for-front of discussion. In Pauls early days this term expermental had a mystery and a true meaning and was embraced (as it should still) however with changes in peoples perspective and much more awarness of aviation in general I (my own personal thoughts here) think we will see the word expermental fade away in my life time. To make a point we had a Young Eagle rally today and the question came up from one of the parents about the difference between expermental or home built planes as to certified airplanes. As we explained the general differences we stressed the expermental is as good or better and safe or even safer than the certified plane as the builder knows ever part, piece of the plane he/she has built.
    The parent understood the explaniation and accepted our statement but she still had a problem with her child in a plane classified as expermental. I have been flying for many years and have seen this shift slowly happening in the general public in my area. I live in central Pa. I may be all wrong here but I think I'm correct.

Anyway, thanks John for the oppertunity to chime in on the name changes, I am still pondering the question but will have a response in a few days.

Jim