Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Legend Bob Hoover Dies at 94

Default Aviation Legend Bob Hoover Dies at 94

image.jpg

An aviation legend has passed. The pilot's pilot has gone west at age 94.
    The famous yellow Rockwell Mustang, the Shrike with both engines off and props feathered doing his world famous " energy conservation" routine will stay in evey pilot's memory.
    Having met the gentleman first at Oshkosh decades ago when you could still get near and visit. Later while at Mankato, MN airshow where he flew a Hawker Jet as I recall. There, few knew him and I was able to walk with him and talk without any crowds following. He was gracious to take a photo with myself and my 2 year old son and sign my admission ticket. That was 28 years ago. I'm sure I still have both somewhere very safe.
    R.I.P. R.A. "Bob" Hoover. Thanks for all the great aviation memories.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Aviation Legend Bob Hoover Dies at 94

At one time Bob Hoover did a rather crude video with Chuck Yaeger at Pancho Barnes' old bar location where they both talked at length about how their flying may have looked risky or even wreckless, but in fact they were exercising extreme risk management whenever they were flying. If you ever can find a copy of that, watch it. It will make you a better pilot.

I got to know Bob a little over my years of EAA involvment. He was an incredible man.

Godspeed Bob...

He was a true gentleman. It was a gift and a privilege to watch him fly... I feel very lucky. Yes, Godspeed Bob.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'll never forget how he landed his Commander, before it stopped rolling, he jumped out, ran ahead, stopped and turned around as the aircraft rolled up and stopped just before running into him. Wow! He was awesome.

Bob Hoover was one of my childhood hero's I would read about in Yeager, and to Fly and Fight etc. Those books ignited my passion for aviation and it was an honour to hear him talk and meet him later in life. I know that in 50 years people will be in awe that I actually met Bob Hoover. I liken it to someone saying they met Charles Lindebergh. He was a legend of our time.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I met Mr. Hoover at the Reno Air Races in late 90's. Happened to catch him early in the morning in the pits sitting next to his motorhome. He was promoting his book Forever Flying. Sat down with him and had a great conversation with him and of course walked away with a autographed copy of his book. Interesting life he had for sure...I felt very fortunate....

Some great vids at this news feed.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/201...ts-dead-at-94/

"Pilot's pilot."

I met Mr. Hoover at the Reno Air Races in the 90's and was also fortunate enough to watch him perform in the Shrike Commander. He was a true gentleman who was gracious enough to sign my logbook, which at the time contained all of 20 something hours.

"Flying the Feathered Edge" is available to purchase or rent on the iTunes store. I HIGHLY recommend watching this for anybody who has an interest in Bob Hoover and/or aviation in general.

He will be missed.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

In the mid 1950's I was a pilot in the Air National Guard. We were flying F-86's. Bob Hoover was a tec rep for North American. He came to Great Falls, Mt to give us a pep talk. After the lecture he went out in the line, got into one of our F-86's and did a slow roll on take off with the gear and flaps down. Really impressed our bunch of kids.
    Cliff Higgins
    Helena, Mt

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    Thanks for the links what memories! To