Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Kitfoxers out there?

Default Australian Kitfoxers out there?

I was contacted recently by David Evans in Melbourne who has just ordered a Kit! Congratualtions Dave and welcome to the group. I have encouraged Dave to join up and make himself known. I told him all about the wise and generous people on this site - I know you will make him welcome when he pops up here!

I have put Dave in touch with Ben in Sale (Mcgaero - nearly finished!) and I think these 2 guys are going to produce some pretty nice aircraft!

That got me thinking about other Kitfox flyers in OZ. The ones I know of are:

Jono in Melbourne/Benalla (Jono) Model 4
    Matty in Melbourne (Metalman) Skyfox (?)
    Rob in Melbourne (Foxedemontheforum) building SS7
    Jim in Yarrum (Chrisag) Model 4
    Tom in Tumut (has had Kitfox but needs troop carrier for the family - loves these planes)
    Rob in Tassie (Aussie Bob) scout but would like SS7 - ordered yet Bob?

I would be really good if any other OZ Kitfoxers who are on this site could let us know where you are.

Perhaps we could organise a get together sometime - I am keen to organise a flyout to Mt Dare Roadhouse/homestead on the western side of the Simpson Desert -it would be a great base for 2-3 days and plenty of interesting places to fly to each day as well as heaps of interesting ways to get there!. And wonderful people run it. I was thinking about next June so if you are interested, let me know and I will start stitching together a few details.

Also, we are planning our next flyin here at Mt Beauty November 26th. You are all welcome and expected! Email me if interested and I will email you the information. We are featuring 'bush' type aircraft this year so it would be great to have a good roll up of Kitfox aircraft.

cheers for now

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Talking Re: Australian Kitfoxers out there?

G'day. I'm the David Evans Ross is referring to. Very much looking forward to getting the kit and starting to build. I'm cleaning out the shed where it'll be built, it's got a rideon mower, wood chipper and other stuff that's a bit grungy. I hope to turn into an Operating Theatre environment !. Very envious of Ross and Ben, both having been through the build process, and in the case of Ross, actively flying and Ben nearing completion. I'm planning on building a Lycoming 0-233 carbureted engine version; Ben has the injected model. Also trying to get to Mt Beauty on November 26 to meet Ross and see some Aus Kitfox's. I'm not expecting my kit to arrive until the new year But when it's built, I'm up for any and all flying to any part of AUS. I support Ross totally in trying to rally the Kitfox owners together. We can all learn from each other and make for an interesting group. Why, given another 50 years we could even challenge the Van's group for numbers !!!

Default Re: Australian Kitfoxers out there?

Welcome aboard David.
    Congrats on purchasing a Kitfox. You have some stellar examples there to emulate.

I flew the factory Kitfox with the o-233 Lycoming in carbureted form. Ran smooth and had good power. Should work well for you.

Enjoy the build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Dave, Tom here from Tumut, welcome, this is great place to come and learn. My family and will plan to fly in to Mt Beauty in our J400 Turbo. I have the bare bones of a Fox in my Hangar I have started to rebuild.
    Tom

HI Tom. you back from Russia yet? What model fox is in the shed? is it for you or a a doerupper? I might have someone interested in it if you want to do it up and sell. perhpas private email me?
    cheers to the family

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Hi Ross, we are still in Russia till the 3rd October. Am hoping to keep the fox as a toy for Tom!!! Depending on our situation when I finish it. It will be modified with different flaperons, larger round rudder and elevators to give it a 30's look. Oh and something special in the engine compartment of course!
    Regards
    Tom

Thanks for the welcome DesertFox4. Appreciated. I know that I'll have to aware of the CG when building because of the heavier weight for the Lycoming but there are ways around that without resorting to ballast. Yes I wish I'd been at Oshkosh when John McBean brought the 0-233 version to the show. From the forum threads, doesn't look like many folks take this route but I'm always up for a challenge. I'm a bit of a Lycoming/Continental fan, given the incredible number of these engines installed in GA aircraft. I'm assuming the quality will come across to the light weight 0-233.

Tom, thanks also for the welcome. Yep, I've been reading some of the threads and the tribal knowledge out there is endless. I know if I have issues I'll be swamped with help. I'll be posting progress of the build on the site in the same vein as Ross, albeit perhaps not as well.

Cheers

David

Good to see you on here Dave - looking forward to your build!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Lights

DAve. In answer to your Q's re lights.

I have:

1. Power Burst Position/Nav/Strobe LED on wing tips by Aveo Engineering Group

2. Aero LEDs landing and Wig Wag lights

Both very good/ I think I got these after seeing them on the Stick and Rudder planes. The Wig Wags are particularly impressive! Everyone comments how bright they are and really makes you be seen. I actually fly with them on all the time now rather than only when landing.

hope this helps.

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross,

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

Funny you mentioned hijacking Steve's thread .... That was actually going through my mind on an earlier post of mine. I'll set up a thread when I start building. Bit too early right now.

You're not getting anyone else putting up their hand re building in Aus. Bit surprised at that. Thought people would have jumped at the chance to engage with what is a very vibrant and helpful group of builders.
    David
    SS7 Builder