Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: horizontal position

Default horizontal position

Just thinking about 2 months out; can i assume the horizontal stab position should be level with plane level for takeoff. FYI, SS taildragger with o-200.

Default Re: horizontal position

It really depends on you EWCG. Most likely your plane is going to be near the forward limit. If your CG is good I would start with the trim half way between limits. Then fly it, determine the correct takeoff position and adjust your trim indicator to the takeoff position.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I agree with PapuaPilot. In our King Air 200's & 350's, we set "Neutral Trim" or Zero for pre-flight inspections, yet on takeoff, we always have some trim, generally 2-3 units up. If you fly at Zero (we do for test flight, post-maintenance rigging checks) and find a good setting for your Weight & CG at takeoff, then simply mark that spot on the indicator for future reference...and perhaps the same process for landing trim...though that's often just "feeling the old girl out all the way to touchdown".

"Give me a vector, Victor"
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

And in my F-16 I set the trim....oh, a KF7? Set it about an 1" from the top of the slot. Good luck, test pilot

As Floog says, about 1". It is no big deal if you are off by 1" either direction, just requires somewhat more fore or back stick as soon as the tail comes up. A couple of takeoffs and you will find the sweet spot. I have taken off several times with full nose up trim by mistake (didn't use my CIGAR checklist) and it just requires a hard forward push on the stick-nothing dangerous.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS