Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Cover

Default Cabin Cover

I've been looking at the slick cabin cover that Kitfox sells but I have a little concern about damage that it may do to the windshield if any dust/grit finds its way between the cover and windshield.

So for those that use the cover, have you had any scratches that you could attribute to the cover moving around? And what do you think is better, covering up or going au naturale?
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Default Re: Cabin Cover

John, the Kitfox Aircraft covers once on don't move or let dirt get under to damge the windsheild. Tested in the dusty southwest many times. Keeps cockpit nice and dry in a rainstorm too. Tested many times at Oshkosh alone.
    I'll be ordering one for my 7SS when ready to fly.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

JohnB,

Same questions I pondered in my mind before I got one.

I did get it and am happy with it. The inside surface which contacts the windshield is soft so it will treat the windshield well. We made just about everything else for the plane made of fabric (like upholstery and tail pad) but the cover is kinda complex.

The key is keeping the inside of the cover clean, I am careful not to let it hit the ground and fold the clean inside surface back against itself - BTW - it comes with a bag which will help keep the cover clean when it is not being used - folds up in a fairly compact/light package.

Second thing is keeping the aircraft surface the cover contacts clean. Bugs come off the windshield before the cover goes on. I always bring some clean windshield rags, cleaner and a small container to put water in with on a trip.

So...when do I use the cover?....only when I think I need to. There have been many times when it is real obvious out camping that it's not going to rain over night - I'll leave it off then. If there is a chance of precip - that is when I use it - my main reason for having it is to keep the inside of the plane dry under those circumstances. If I were ever to leave the airplane outside for several days - the cover would go on. At least that has been my strategy.

I'd certainly recommend the cover John sells - kinda one of those - "having it and not needing it" as opposed to "need it and don't have it" things

Oh...almost forgot to answer your original question!.....nope, no scratches due to the cover.

Fly well,

Dave S
    Last edited by Dave S; 06-09-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave, you mentioned the inside is soft. Is the inside a different material than the outside? My wife was going to make one is the reason i ask.

Hi Ken,

I am sure there is a name for the material used for the cover; but, I am not aware of it. It's very light weight, The inner and outer surfaces are different with the inside surface being soft; but, it appears to be a single material - not a lined product.

Dave
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I also have the cabin cover and showed it to a lady that sews theatrical costumes for a hobby business. She was very impressed with the sewing work, the materials and said that the machine required for the Kitfox logo embroidered on the windshield area would cost at least $10K. So there you have an opinion from a semi-professional seamstress saying it's nice work and good value for a custom made item.

Thanks for the replies. The cover sounds like a worthwhile investment.
    I guess I should have thought about this a little earlier in the year though as they are out of stock and on an 8-12 week delivery.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Hey! I don't like what Im reading here. What gives with the rain coming into the cabin unless its covered? Im envisioning my upholstery, wood floor and avionics getting trashed if it should rain on the airplane. Is it not possible to seal this thing up? Do I need to upholster this thing with Jeep interior? LOL
    Of course I wont change a thing and I intend on buying the cover myself anyhow. I aim to trailer it to and from the airport so the cover is probably advised.
    Eddie

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The cover won't do anything for you if you have the wings folded, it won't fit.
    It is made to fit with wings in the flight position.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Oh. Good to know. Thanks