Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Build Begins!

Default The Build Begins!

My Kit Arrived yesterday. I have only about 45 min of work left on doing the inventory. I wish I had looked at posts here months ago. It seems I need to read a big manual before I begin the build. Arrgh. Wish I had got that manual prior to the kit. I had 18 weeks between placing the order and receiving the Kit.
    Eddie

Default Re: The Build Begins!

Hey Eddie, you don't have to read the whole manual before you begin. In fact, it won't make sense and will be confusing. You won't retain what you have read anyway.

Just read the section you are about to do. So if you are going to install the rudder pedals, skim through the manual pertaining to the pedals. It still won't all make sense but it will give you an overhead view.

Thanks Esser
    LOL. I thought I was going to begin this build with fabric. I haven't got my reamers yet! I guess I will head to Aircraft Spruce after work tomorrow.

Yup - agree with Esser - Just do it. Find a spot to start and get going. Before you know it you will have spent your kids inheritance and your next 2 cars...!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Not to discourage you, but you will be a few months before you hit the fabric. I got my kit in 2012 and I just finished covering the wings. Now, I am slower than most and during that time I moved across the country as well as took pretty much a whole year off. I work out of town A LOT and I am lucky if I get two days a month on my plane. But it's slowly but surely for me.

If you have free time you'll motor right along quick. It's super enjoyable, slightly frustrating, and very rewarding. I am sure you will have a blast. I am looking forward to seeing another build and I hope you post all your progress here.

I have been building for just a couple of months, don't let the manual overwhelm
    you. I bought the quick-build wings and started with the wings on Brandon's advise. It is going well, just read the whole section on the wings and than start there, I find this works well of me. Have fun with the journey, I read all the new posts each day at the end of my work day, gives me time to digest info that may be helpful for me before I work on the plane the next day.

You can DRIVE to Spruce!

That would be financial disaster for me

Yep, I drove there and I got some things but not the Loctite 680 I need to fix this bearing into the part. So... Onto another thing in the build.

Congratulations, let the fun begin. If I could offer some advice it would be to put the parts after being inventoried in containers (drawers) that are in part numerical order. When I finally saw the light with my wife's supervision it made finding parts so much quicker and easier. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    You can DRIVE to Spruce!

That would be financial disaster for me
    When I lived in S. CA I was a frequent customer of Spruce, to the point they recognized me at sight and would have my account already pulled up by the time I got to the cash register. Take advantage of your proximity to their shop as it will help you and reduce your construction time.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV