Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailwheel Rigging

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Tailwheel Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    So where does a builder go to learn the correct setup for the 8" wide Matco?
    Matco has a video for the setup of their tailwheels on their website.

I followed the video instructions and everything has worked real nice on the 2 matco tailwheels I have used.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by TY2068 View Post
    When I first got my Kitfox I immediately realized something was terribly wrong with my tailwheel. It was so bad I could hardly turn around. I'm sure the majority here already know how to set-up tailwheel springs and chains. In any case I thought I'd pass along this link to a video which helped me greatly. I realized that my springs were installed far far too tight. This prevented the tailwheel to unlatch and free caster as it should. Wow what a difference with simple adjustment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk
    I watched this tutorial before setting up my 8" matco and it works great, I originally had the chains too short and could hardly turn it ......having the spring/pivot angle setup properly is critical aswell . I have mine leaning back at the top and again it works well ,never shimmies and it great to taxi

Thanks I'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    So where does a builder go to learn the correct setup for the 8" wide Matco?
    The Matco tailwheel assembly comes with steering wings that release at 45 degrees. The Kitfox rudder only moves 25 degrees. Optional wings are available that release at 25 degrees. There was no way the 45 degree wings would work for me. I put in the 25 degree wings and the steering and release are smooth. Well worth the $15 or so.

John P

Oh I totally agree with John here. One must be aware of what is right and not right for a particular plane and specific tailwheel type. I should have pointed out that I have the originally supplied Maul tailwheel.

I'm no expert by any means but I know I should be able to turn around on a 100' wide grass strip. Yeah it was that bad. I assumed things were correct with the plane as it was purchased with a fresh front to rear conditional inspection by A&P owner/builder. The plane passed with flying colors but nothing could have been further from reality. I've fixed, replaced, and corrected many things from nose to tail. Several of which could have cost me the plane or my rear. Anyway I found the video to be very helpful personally as I had absolutely no idea how to go about adjusting one for proper operation.

Signed...Expert in training