Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel Rigging

Default Tailwheel Rigging

When I first got my Kitfox I immediately realized something was terribly wrong with my tailwheel. It was so bad I could hardly turn around. I'm sure the majority here already know how to set-up tailwheel springs and chains. In any case I thought I'd pass along this link to a video which helped me greatly. I realized that my springs were installed far far too tight. This prevented the tailwheel to unlatch and free caster as it should. Wow what a difference with simple adjustment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk

Default Re: Tailwheel Rigging

I guess this reinforces my experience and what I have been doing. Thanks.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The first part of the video is duplicated. When it starts to repeat you can skip forward to 3:58 to learn how to tell if tail wheel chains and springs are too tight and the problems that situation will cause.

Very good explanation. Thanks for posting.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

With that specific tailwheel, and perhaps some others, that may be the best way, but it's definitely not for other designs that I'm familiar with. There are many different designs for locking/swiveling tailwheels. Some require a good amount of tension on the springs/arms. Nothing worse than a 6" Scott 34B/2000 with loose springs. Having a tailwheel continually break free while taxiing in a strong crosswind is a pain in the butt. It can be more than that when landing. The differences in design between big & little Scotts, Maule, Lange, Matco, Aviation Products, etc. sometimes result in different requirements. It's the same way with the set-up of rudder cables. It's common to see very loose rudder cables on RV designs. Try that with a Thorp T-18 and you've got a handful.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have to agree with John here on the tension, different setups require different tension. If my L16A or Rans S-7 had that loose of chains I would be doing a dance with out a partner.

Jim

Maybe the more recent posts are just what this thread needs. I always think of the time I ferried a guy up to Quincy to pick up his Stearman after an annual. The Stearman expert, and he definitely was A Stearman expert, checked out my Kitfox and warned me about my loose tail wheel linkage. I smiled, thanked him and ignored his advice. I use the Homebuilders Special tailwheel and tried early on a tighter linkage as the dimensions and the particular chain and links didn't give what I wanted. I quickly did what I had to to get what was in the video. I might also suggest that the tailwheel weight and aircraft geometry might be a factor as well as the make and model of tailwheel. Again, the real value of this discussion might be the "fact" that one size doesn't necessarily fit all.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I appreciate others quickly joining in here to point out this method is not suitable for all designs.

My tail wheel flying has mostly been in commercial glider operations where the wizened old mechanic took care of adjusting chains and springs. The tow planes were pulled out of the hanger, given a pre-flight, then a quick buzz around the field to warm everything up. I honestly don't think one of us tow pilots could have answered a question about adjusting a tail wheel.

Big differences between "kick the tires and light the fires" and building a tail dragger.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    ...the wizened old mechanic took care of adjusting chains and springs.
    Hopefully we become expert at what we do and understand that our very narrow expertise may have no bearing on a different, though similar, situation . Just too tempted to add to the above quote, "But please don't touch my Model IV".
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    ... I might also suggest that the tailwheel weight and aircraft geometry might be a factor as well as the make and model of tailwheel. Again, the real value of this discussion might be the "fact" that one size doesn't necessarily fit all.
    Exactly. The usual case is that as a taildragger is loaded, the extra weight on the tail straightens the spring, usually resulting in the distance between the tailwheel arms & the rudder horns becoming shorter & the linkages looser.

Some tailwheels require tension on the arms to provide the locking feature. Some engage a pin or key that is disengaged at a specific angle. One size definitely doesn't fit all.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

So where does a builder go to learn the correct setup for the 8" wide Matco?