Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop balance

Default Prop balance

Has anyone ever balanced there prop? What did you use? Did it help?
    I seen the "propeller engine balance master" on Aircraft spruce. Part 15-05828
    I have an Ivo medium that was balanced when it was shipped. Just wondering what I would notice. I don't think it vibrates but maybe I just don't notice it.

Default Re: Prop balance

You should search the forum about prop balancing, there is lots of info here.

If I understand right your prop was static balanced before it was shipped. A dynamic balance is when the prop is balanced with the engine running. The prop and engine are balanced as one unit. You usually have a notable decrease in vibration after a dynamic balance. The positive things are less vibration, less fatigue and decreased wear and tear on the engine and airframe. Even if you can't feel the difference it is a good thing if you can decrease the amount of vibration.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Wannafly,

I think that a great many guys balance their props, or have them balanced. It's always good to have the prop statically balanced first. As Phil said, dynamic balancing can balance the entire rotating assembly - prop, spinner, etc., and even if you don't feel a big change, chances are great that the improvement will be considerable, resulting in less wear & tear on the engine, mount, airframe, instruments... pretty much everything. It's also not unusual to see an increase in static rpm, resulting in more usable horsepower. I've had an ACES pro-balancer for many years & have balanced hundreds of props for friends. I can remember only one time that I measured vibration low enough to make dynamic balancing unnecessary. It's just a single accelerometer unit, but does an excellent job, and I consistently see vibration levels after balancing of .03 ips or less. I haven't looked up the unit you mentioned, but it may just be a simple device to check static balance.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I am a bit late replying to this one - been away out of internet range for a week. I had our Kitfox 7 done by our LAME friend only a month ago. It cost about $350 but worth it -it is easy to feel the difference - much smoother through a whole range of RPM but also the readings confirmed a substantial differnce before and after. For my way of thinking, if the engine is not vibrating so much it must be a plus.. Cant really see why anyone wouldn't get it done at least once.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)