Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ready for final assembly

Default Re: Ready for final assembly

In My area The Oklahoma City MIDO you can, on a Kitfox
    put a NX on the aircraft. It is not required to be on the registration certificate.

David Kelm
    FAA DARF & DART
    7SS 912iS inwork

Keep us posted Papua. I like the NX number just want to make sure the process is right so the feds can't complain!
    By the way - Nice looking KF V!
    Bought a KF V project recently and hope to start covering next spring.
    Regards

David,
    I'm think you are right on this. The X in the tail number isn't listed on the registration, you just add the "X" after the N if it is allowed by FAR 45.22. I looked at the registration certificate on my friend's E-AB Super Cub today, it only has N plus his number after it, not the X.

Progress Report:
    I have made some progress since moving the plane on Saturday. So far I have installed the rudder, prop and finished installing the windshield, sky light and turtle deck plexiglass. I'm not going to pull off the rest of the protective plastic on all the plexiglass till everything is done. I am working on tail covers and securing the battery. I think I will be able to install the elevator and horizontal stabilizer tomorrow.

I had a slight panic tonight when my spinner didn't line up to the backplate. Then I realized that I clocked the prop to the backplate incorrectly. I had to remove it all and reposition everything to get it lined up properly.

The other exciting thing that happened was finding a hanger at the Nampa airport where I am based. Hangers are hard to get in Nampa and they sell really fast. This one was advertised about 10 days ago and I just happened to see the posting on the bulletin board in the terminal the day it was posted. It is 48' x 36' and has electricity, insulation, gas heating and an epoxy paint floor. I signed an agreement to purchase the hanger this evening. I already have a co-worker that is partners in an Avid Magnum who would like to move in with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Its looking good Phil! And well done on the Hanger - what great timing! Looking forward watching the final stages.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I got the wings installed the other day, but there is a problem. The forward spar attach bolt for the left wing won't go in. The wing is contacting the fuselage butt rib and there is still about 1/8 of the hole that doesn't line up. The right wing went on just fine.

Unfortunately this part of the build was done before I took ownership of the project. I did have pictures from the previous owner with the wings installed and guessed everything was OK. Now with the fabric and paint on it it no longer lines up.

Brandon, who builds the wings, looked at it and made some suggestions. I am going to look into this tomorrow and see about adjusting or replacing the butt rib.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

I got a ride with Brandon this morning at Nampa in the new Kitfox STI. What a fun plane! The takeoff rolls were about 150', but I don't think he was doing max performance.

The landings looked easy and were very short too. One time on final is saw 36 mph groundspeed on the GPS, but we had a 8-10 mph headwind.

Thanks Brandon, I had a great time and can't wait to get my bird done. Thank also to John McBean for giving Brandon permission.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Looking good Phil, I am sure you will resolve your wing attach situation and be wrapping it up soon. really gets exciting now. can't wait to hear how you do with the catto prop/IO-240 combo. Keep plugin. Bruce N199CL

An eighth at the spar pin isn't much at all

hopefully they told you one solution was to slide the butt rib mounts in a little further and re rivet them. You might have to grind the tips off and use new rivet holes but it can be done.

or if its only hitting at the top or bottom, then you have a twist in it that happened when the windshield was attached or when the bottom closeout was done, depending on which way it is twisted.

Guess you'l have the wing issue licked by now Phil? It was good that Brandon was around too to look and advise - but with your talents, I guess it will not be a big problem.

How would the new STOL version go up in west papua??!!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I did get the forward left wing bolt hole to line up today. Yeah . . .

It was only the top of the wing that was contacting the fuselage butt rib, the bottom had over a 1/16" gap. I started by cutting away a small strip of the fabric along the top of the butt rib. Then I trimmed about a 1/16" a groove in the butt rib plywood where the #1 wing cap strip was contacting it. I feel this is still plenty strong, the butt rib plywood appears to be 1/4" thick.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016