Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready for final assembly

Default Ready for final assembly

We took my plane from our garage to the Chapter 103 EAA hanger in Nampa today where I will begin the final assembly of it. I am going to start by assembling the tail, then the wings and lastly the prop and cowlings. I am hoping to have DAR inspect it within a couple weeks. It's about time for another Kitfox to be born!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: Ready for final assembly

That is so good, Phil! Sure looks nice!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Go Phil!

I am bit behind ... but not that far! Hope it all goes well for you.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Phil it will be good to add another IO-240 Kitfox to the fold. Anxious to here about your prop/ engine performance once you start your flying-keep us posted. Exciting times! Bruce N199CL

Is the N number approved?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

As far as the N number. I got a new number and which our anniversary and first initials.

If you are asking about the 'X', I talked with three FAA guys at the local FISDO, including the head guy. We looked at FAR 45.22 and 45.23 together. They agreed that it would be acceptable to use the 'X' in the N number and that it won't be necessary to put the 2" 'Experimental' label on the plane. The portion I wanted them to clarify in 45.22 was the statement about an "aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago". They agreed that my Kitfox 5 would have the same external configuration as an early model Kitfox.

I don't think the DAR will disapprove it. If I'm not mistaken they use FARs and Advisory Circulars as a basis for doing the C of A. ACs are informational but not mandatory or regulatory, only the FARs are law. I already have my FISDOs approval to do this and they say it lines up with FARs.

In a nutshell FAR 45.22 allows you to use an 'X' under certain qualifying situations (which a KF meets). This is all that is needed to deem your plane experimental. FAR 45.23 says if you ONLY have the letter 'N" (i.e. IF YOU DON'T have an 'X') in your registration number then you MUST have the 2" 'Experimental" label.

Even so, here is what AC 45-2D says:

(2) You may insert the symbol (“C,” standard; “R,” restricted; “L,” limited; or “X,” experimental or provisionally certificated) appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the three types of aircraft listed below. The symbol may be placed between the nationality designation and the registration number, for example, NX1234.
    (a) A U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago,
    (b) A U.S.-registered aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago that is operating under a special airworthiness certificate as an exhibition aircraft, or
    (c) An amateur-built aircraft with the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago.

I am now imagining some of you updating your N numbers and removing the Experimental sticker.

Here is an example of a NX regitered plane that some of you might recognize.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

I hadn't thought about kitfox being 30 years old already. Good job on the research.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...rming_nnumber/

Check the last para on this faa.gov page. It states:

The FAA no longer issues numbers beginning with NC, NX, NR, or NL. On some older aircraft, these numbers may be displayed in accordance with FAR Part 45.22.

How is your FSDO getting around this statement? I was all excited and stuff and the feds are still sending conflicting statements!

I don't see where the conflict is. FAR 45.22 defines what "some older aircraft" are. The Kitfox is over 30 years old and qualifies according to FARs and my agreed with the statement FSDO.

If the DAR doesn't like my N number I will go back to the FSDO and ask again. I will find out in a couple weeks when I have the DAR inspect my plane.

I have a friend with an E-AB Super Cub who did the same thing and he is from Arizona.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

You need to ask your DAR now

Your DAR will be from the MIDO office. The Manufacturing part of the FAA
    may not think the same as your FSDO.

EAB aircraft are no longer certified by FSDO DARs