Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Will not charge

Default Will not charge

I have a kitfox 4 with a 912, it will not charge what do I need to check?

Default Re: Will not charge

First place to start is the connections on the voltage regulator.

(I had a charging problem that tracked to a bad connection of the wires coming off the engine to the voltage regulator.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here are a few things to check.
    * Check the current load... add the rated amperage draw of each of your electronic things that draw current (radio, transponder, lights, strobes, intercom, etc.) The built in generator is rated for approximately 20 Amps, the ignition system takes about 5 Amps, leaving approximate 15 for the system load. If all is used, nothing is left for charging.
    * There is a 25 Amp fuse between the rectifier/regulator and the battery. If the fuse is blown, the battery will not charge.
    * Here is a link to a short article on testing the rectifier/regulator:
    http://pointsforpilots.blogspot.com/...rator-and.html

Gook Luck,
    Ralph

We rebuild alternators and starters at work. Most of the time someone brings back an alternator the first thing we ask the customer is if they checked their grounds. It's amazing how a little corrosion on the connectors can degrade a good ground connection.

i realize this is an old post but ill try . wondering if anyone has had any problems with the insulation on the yellow wires going to the regulator? i have seen two engines that the insulation has degraded to a point that the insulation was gummie , could be scraped with a fingernail . both these engines were late 90s or early 2000 vintage . one of these engines has never been started so it can't be caused by chemicals.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Yes it does happen. That's why there was a recall to replace the stators. Unfortunately that has long ago expired. Now it will have to be paid for. I've seen the adhesive in certain tape cause the insulation to soften.

If the engine is not installed yet, you may be able to replace just the wires more easily, but be sure to inspect their entire length.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

thanks, I had thought that this condition could have been related to the stator recall. seems strange that insulation on the unused engine would soften just from age. neither of these engines are on my plane, I haven't had any problems but will have to check the insulation . my engine is a early 90s vintage.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa