Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making a lexan windscreen and turtle deck

Default Re: Making a lexan windscreen and turtle deck

Do you still put the false rib in the middle if you are making the long version? Do you still install the false spar( the alum or steel "t" that goes between the butt ribs?

I am ready to install windscreen but my manual does have the pages. Does anyone have photos of how it mounts to glare screen and how it is attached to front post? Thanks I have my 1/8 lexan and waiting for a buddy to send me a template

Thanks for help, they turned out great! $170 did the complete plane,windscreen,turtle deck door glass and have enough to do a spare windscreen ! Save me almost $900.00 which help with the cost of the 912
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another photo

Gizmos, looks great. Nice job.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Looks awesome! Just for future reference, if there is a race track anywhere close, its a requirement of sanctioned tracks that the cars have lexan windshields, usually there is a vendor close by the track that supplies lexan and other safety products, fuel lines etc

Thanks for info . I raced NASCAR mini stock and dwarf car for 6 yrs. I have a vacuum forming machine to make lexan bodies for rc cars. I bought these sheets from a local glass company, these were higher quality than i normally use.we had a110 temp day when I made mine, got lucky. I had a pattern, that is the secret ! I used racket straps to help form it. I then used my heat gun for monocote covering for rc planes. I used my temp gun to make sure I did not exceed 300 degree. If you heat it to much without baking the complete sheet at 200 degrees, you can get gas bubbles. It took me about 4 hrs to work the sheet to form/ installed. The guys on this form is great! Makes life easy

Not long ago I bought a model 1 that has never been finished and I'm at the windshield turtledeck stage now. Problem is no windshield material and no pattern. Does anyone know where I could acquire a pattern to work with? I'm sure lexan can be picked up local and I've read comments on thickness that's helpful. Thanks, Mike

Mike,
    Since all other Kitfoxes are different when it comes to exact mounting hole location and cowl position, your first windshield will be unique. Once installed, it becomes the pattern for all subsequent windshields.

For the first install, start at the back, position and clamp the top, You can also drill and cleco to the butt ribs working forward. Cut for the front spar carry through bend then clamp against the door posts. On all rough trimming make sure to leave some excess sides and bottom because once the cowl is installed, the windshield material will have to be moved to snug up against the cowl lip. Once everything is fitting well, drill the mounting holes and do the final trimming.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I made my windscreen and turtle deck cover from lexan, they turned out great. Save lots of $ if you have the time. I have a question on the gap cover between turtle deck and winf. The stock aluminum cover has two small aluminum pieces that you attach to cover. With the lexan cover , do you make them from lexan or paint the aluminum fillers and attach to lexan with rivets?