Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox on floats, fully loaded, runway length?

Default Re: Kitfox on floats, fully loaded, runway length?

Maybe floats is the wrong direction. If you have a clear approach over water, I would think a 500 foot strip that ends at the waters edge would be more than enough.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Good point....
    but 500 foot strip for landing would challenge alot of pilots, especially heavy planes. for newer pilots it would be risky.

Guys, I was thinking about it the landing strip from the water approach, and it really might work out great, with about a 2000 foot approach over the water. The runway, just wouldn't be completely flat, but would have a little curve to it, so I would come in and land on flat ground, then the ground would ramp up to about 5-7.5 degrees after about 200 feet, then could coast strait for about 1000 feet more... Then I could turn it around from up there, accelerate down the hill, level out at the bottom of the runway, and take off over the water...

That sounds perfect. Up hill landings are great for short landings. With a thousand foot you have nothing to worry about. Mow a strip and I'll come check out out.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

At first I was concerned you were reaching for a solution that didn't exist with the options you have, but what you are now thinking, if accurate in length, sounds quite feasible. Check this out...

Downhill takeoff, uphill landing, no go arounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MFEJY3SPQ

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxnick View Post
    That sounds perfect. Up hill landings are great for short landings. With a thousand foot you have nothing to worry about. Mow a strip and I'll come check out out.

Right on Nick, I'll let you know when I get it done, hopefully by late fall... Thanks again, btw my property is in South Central VA, Charlotte county, not Falls Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    At first I was concerned you were reaching for a solution that didn't exist with the options you have, but what you are now thinking, if accurate in length, sounds quite feasible. Check this out...

Downhill takeoff, uphill landing, no go arounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MFEJY3SPQ

Looks very similar to my situation actually, just have about 4 years of unmaintained under growth and need to get it graded right I have at least 800 feet, but probably over 1000.

Actually, it probably won't happen sooner than by next spring...all things considered.
    If I can get up in the air by late summer of next year, that would be amazing.

Very useful information. Thanks to all.
    I have a question regarding the HXLXW of a KitFox 4 on Full Lotus Amphibs.. I am designing the barn now to store it. Does anyone know how tall the tail will be? Also, length and width.
    Much appreciated in advance.
    Dave