Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing gear safetu cable

Default Landing gear safety cable

Hi

My question is,,how long the safety landing gear cable loop (steel cable)can have for great operation (bungee gear)

Dave
    Last edited by Dravenelle; 04-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: Landing gear safetu cable

I wish I could give a definitive answer but there have been several instances in the past when a hard landing resulted in damage to the Bungee bulkhead from too short cables. I know of of some who cut them out after the reports. A bit too long seems to be better than a bit too short short.
    LOWELL

Here is a video on Bungee install.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

I could measure how big the loop is hanging below the gear if you like;

I have 4 Kitfox here right now to look at.

What does the manual say? 2 to 3 " I would guess.

I would never not have them in place........... If a bungeee fails you gonna pay the price $$$$

If you are landing hard enough to do damage when the safety cable tightens to the limit and you bend your crossmember --well you had better do some basic flight training.

Enjoy the movie.

That's right Dave

I learned a long time ago not to argue with Dave. What I posted are veritable facts. Damage to the bulkhead on enough Kitfoxes to prompt guys to take some action. My choice was to go with Hammerhead gear. Welding in a new bulkhead was just not a viable choice. My advice still stands - a bit too long is better than too short. Just go with your best judgement and live with the consequences. By the way, can anyone document broken Bungee damage and $$$$ equalling a broken bulkhead.
    Lowell

The proper length for the cables is so that there is 4-1/2 to 5 inches of travel available at the ends of the landing gear shock cord arms.

Attached is a link to service letter #48 about the landing gear that shows an optional placement of the limit cables.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...tters/sl48.htm

Jpeg of the optional cable placement mentioned in the service letter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder