Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF4 parts on barnstormers

Default KF4 parts on barnstormers

KF4 parts for sale. I was going to buy the wings but it is a 1050 model. This might be a nice upgrade for a KF3.

Default Re: KF4 parts on barnstormers

Mark,
    It is the my understanding that the difference between the 1050 and the 1200 is the lift struts and the carrythrough tube at the base of the lift strut. In fact, previous factory owners were telling folks that to upgrade from the 1050 to the 1200 obtain the larger lift struts and run a quarter inch 4130 rod with threaded ends through holes drilled through the lift strut attach bracket and secure with washers and nuts.

If I needed wings and they were airworthy, I would go for it - but that's just me.
    Lowell

Lowell, on my 1050 they opened up the fitting and welded the rod in . This was accomplished back in the 90s several owners before me . The only way I know is they took some good pictures and documented it well in the builders log . It pays to keep a good log
    They may have intended the plane to be on floats as there are lots of pictures of foxes on floats . the fin that float planes use under the tail came with the kit when I acquired it .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Avid in the 80's was running a flat 4130 strap accross the bottom of the fuselage between the wing strut attachments when owners wanted to increase gross weights for float ops. I always thought that was a simple and inexpensive (not to mention ingenious) way to increase load carrying ability. Sounds like Kitfox was doing essentially the same thing, but just used a rod rather than flat strap.