Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Default Re: Newbie from Seattle (with all the usual questions)

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    I doubt the radial engine will mesh with your STOL goals. No alternative engine in practice has ever matched the light weight and performance you will get with a Rotax.
    Please forgive my ignorance, but is a $30,000.00 Snowmobile engine really the better choice? Doesn't it get noisy for X-Crountry flight? (I'm simply asking and not trying to be a tool because I simply dont know.)

I have been looking into a Viking engine as well as Corvair conversion. The Cost factor seems to be within the spirit of low cost "roll your own" aviation. More info is need though, as I have no desire to build a Lawn dart.

$30,000? Snowmobile? Noisy? Not sure where you are getting your info.
    Lots of threads on the engine topic, I'm very happy with the Rotax aircraft engine though it may not be the cheapest option.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

The 912 Rotax series 4 strokes are hardly snowmobile engines and are known for good reliability, power and high TBO in a lightweight compact package. I haven't known them to be any noisier than other common aircraft powerplants. While expensive, they allow a builder to complete their project with the least amount of hassle and head scratching time.

The alternatives mentioned can save some money for sure, but you need to have the right mindset to solve the inevitable challenges that will arise. If you ever want to sell the plane with an alternative engine the pool of potential buyers will be smaller and the selling price will reflect what's installed up front.

Also, carefully research the alternative engine vendor's track record and make sure they're someone you're willing to invest hard earned money with. There's plenty of stories out there of unhappy buyers.

-- Paul S

I can only go off of what little I have read so far. But in every Rotax airplane video I see, the engine sounds very loud, buzzy,and high reving, hence the concern. Is the 912 enough engine with only 80 hp? My 30k figure was for a turbo914 rotax. It also seems difficult to find engine pricing (or at least for me.)
    I completely agree with "While expensive, they allow a builder to complete their project with the least amount of hassle and head scratching time." There is something to be said for that. However, I am fat, my friends are fat, and I would eventully like to have a float version of an SS7.More power couldnt hurt?

Guys- I really appricate you taking the time to talk to me about this!

Thank you.

Flienflow, I went to the factory and flew in McBean's SS. I am hard of hearing, but had no problem carrying on a converstion with John. We were using nice set of headsets, but I took them off during the flight and still had no problem talking. It didn't really sound any louder than the Cessnas that I used to fly. The last I talked to John, the Rotax 912S, 100HP is selling for just over $18900. I am going with this engine because it will give me everything I need to fly the Idaho/Washington backcountry plus great xcounty capabilities. I also can't afford the 914.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

One other comment. Most of the videos that I have seen are KFIV and usually running the 500 series, two stroke engines which are more noisy than the four strokes. I haven't seen too many SS videos. Any of you SS pilots have any videos to post or let us know where to find more of them?
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Quote Originally Posted by inzersv View Post
    One other comment. Most of the videos that I have seen are KFIV and usually running the 500 series, two stroke engines which are more noisy than the four strokes. I haven't seen too many SS videos. Any of you SS pilots have any videos to post or let us know where to find more of them?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j631Wa_iGfc

Here is a 912 taking off. Doesn't seem that loud to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j631Wa_iGfc

Here is a 912 taking off. Doesn't seem that loud to me.

I do believe that May have just changed my position on the Rotax.

I did call Kitfox today. Had another very nice conversation. She told me they are also doing some testing on the viking motor. The Advice was not to buy everything at once as technology changes fast. That will be something I will heed. I do want to kick a few tires and make sure this is the right thing for me to do. I also want some good face time with them at the Arlington Airshow.

Where is Liberty Lake?

There is something to be said for not buying the engine or avionics right away .
    When my kit was purchased in 1991 the engine was bought not too long after and wasn't started until 2009 when I first started it . Now i have a twenty year old engine with 400 hrs on it .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Liberty Lake is in Washington on the stateline between Spokane and
    Couer d'Alene, ID. Bedroom community of Spokane more or less. I just received my SS7 kit the 24th of March and have about 60 hours into it. The weather is warming up so the hours will be adding up faster. If your ever in my neck of the woods just call and come see. 509-939-1066
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF