Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Bling - buffing the gear

Default Adding Bling - buffing the gear

Adding the bling factor is one of my goals on the Kitfox.

I’ve been buffing the aluminum hinges, control columns, and other items just to give it some shine.

I decided to tackle the Grove landing gear. The gear came from the factory with a dull aluminum finish that looks like someone sanded it with a DA sander and 120 grit. Little tiny circle scratches the size of BB’s cover the surface.

The spring gear is a bit like wrestling a truck bumper so holding it up to a buffing wheel was not in the cards for me. I clamped it down to a padded saw horse with a wood workers double screw clamp to prevent scratches and pulled out the Makita. The Makita is a large variable speed angled sander grinder that can swing a 12 inch diameter buffing wheel. It’s powerful and can make short workof most buffing projects.

After an hour of prep sanding with 600 grit and another hour hanging on to the Makita I had a somewhat shiny but not perfect landing gear along with black smudges on my cheeks and nose. My hands were black and so were my clothes and the shop apron.

A close inspection of the gear reveals the surface still has those little tiny circles from the factory. The scratches are not deep but the landing gear is extremely hard. At this point I’m looking at a starting the process over with the wet sanding or throwing in the towel and letting the pros do it.

This may be a case where a trip to the plating shop may be in order. I think I’ll let some gorilla that does this every day tackle the job and I’ll just write a check.

John Pitkin

Default Re: Adding Bling - buffing the gear

You may want to look over on the Van's Airforce forum. The -8 uses a grove gear and lots of guys polish them. I think the alloy goes dull pretty quick though, so you'll be repolishing pretty often. I think a nice shiny paint (silver metallic maybe) would be a lot less trouble in the long run.

Maybe John has some ideas for you. Take a look at Yankee Bravo

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

The tarnish issue is a question of mine. The gear alloy, I understand is 7075-T6 a very hard alloy and is available in the alclad version in sheets to resist corrosion. The gear is bar material that probably begins as the 7075-0 version, is machined to shape and then bent and heat treated to the T6 hardness - not alclad. I once had an antique car of Nickle age vintage and it was bugger to keep the bright work bright. It was correct in all respects and painted in lacquer as well. Not many times did I feel it was fun to spend an hour or three keeping it shiny. A close friend polished everything including wheels on his Kitfox and liked the time spent with the airplane keeping it nice. That is not me. My gear was painted - no hassle - looks good and more time to fly.
    Lowell

Now Don, I'm going to tell you the straight scoop from one Texan to another.

When I got my Kitfox III, it was nice and shiney. No bugs or dirt. But what I have discovered is that when each of those bugs smash against my landing gear, wings and prop the deposits become tiny vortex generators. This smooths the air over all the surfaces of your plane, reducing drag and increasing your airspeed. I suspect that the minute scratches have the same effect. The moral of the story is don't wash and NEVER polish.

By the way, when you go to fly-ins with your shiny new Fox, nobody's going to look at it. They'll all be gawking over some guy's 1932 Pietenpol or an old Piper cub. ;>)

Would I lie?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Hi John,

Polished aluminum on planes is a real eyecatcher and neat detail to set one's craft apart.

I don't have polished aluminum on my plane but I admire those who have because it is a neat a look and I know how much work goes into it.

FYI - we have two 50's vintage aluminum skinned planes at our field that are kept polished all the time. A person does need to invest time to keep that shine up.

Also have a person with a new kitfox build at the field with polished gear legs.

I don't know how much metal polishing work like this you have done before so if I ask a stupid question - just forgive me. Question is this - what kind of polishing compound do you have to use with the wheel? What kind of RPM do you have on the wheel?

I think you are on the right track - it's just a matter of working the surface with one grade of material before going to the next finer grade.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

Dave

Has anybody called grove to find out how they polish them??

Quote Originally Posted by szicree View Post
    Has anybody called grove to find out how they polish them??
    Grove does not polish them.... Elbow grease and patience.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I just tried to call Grove, but they close at 1600 Pacific Time. I will call in the morning and let everyone know what I find out. I don't want to paint mine.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Thanks John. I just figured they'd have done it at least a few times to show off their product.