Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elevator Covering Problem

Default Re: Elevator Covering Problem

Quote Originally Posted by szicree View Post
    To be fair, there is actually nothing in the manual indicating stiffeners on the elevator. In fact, my kit had only enough stiffener material for the v-stab, h-stab, and rudder.
    Until I re-read this entire thread - it didn't remember right away that the kits have some differences - model-to-model. I went back and looked at my construction notes/photos; and, yup - no wood ribs on my elevator either - but, then - the elevator with the trim tab may be built a little different anyway. Ours is assembled without wood ribs in the elevator and there is no observable distortion - but the elevator is built differently. See attached photo. I am not an expert on the new configuration; but, I am wondering if wood ribs are even necessary anyway with either version since it is a flat surface? - Possibly there is an extremely small amount of deformation of the trailing edge tube on shrink coupled with the wood ribs that may account for what you have observed which would remain un-noticable if the wood ribs were absent????????? A couple thousandts of an inch of distortion of the tube is probably all it would take to cause the effect you have observed.

For what it is worth - I ripped the fabric off my elevator the first time because I didn't like the way the fabric contoured between the elevator spar and the side/trailing edge tube - did some foam work and liked the final result better (see second attached photo)

I totally agree with the posts that say to take your time and you will be happier with the end result - building is like that.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Tribear
    912ULS Warp
    Attached Images Attached Images