Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paint schemes

Default Re: paint schemes

If you need to down load paint scheme templates here you go.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Paint%20Templates.htm

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

You have a nice paint pattern for your project, the plane that you will bild, as to in some way, look like your soul.... I Like it when it is different, I wont reject any ideas.... still searching for the perfect paint job!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Color was an important issue for me. I knew I wanted yellow as it is one of the most easily seen colors for the human sight. I have been flying enough to recognize that it is easy to loose sight of some planes in flight and I wanted to provide as much advantage as I could to be seen while I was in flight. And heaven forbid, if I was ever go down, I wanted to also provide as much benefit to be seen on the ground as possible. So my logic said it had to be yellow. I also wanted to have a very patriotic theme associated with my plane and some how incorporate an eagle and flag into the color scheme. Everything had to work together and it had to be cool looking. All of this meant I somehow had to figure out how to make red, white, blue and yellow work together. It turned out to be no small task for me.

I looked on the web for color schemes, I looked at planes at Oshkosh, Sun-n-Fun and Arlington. I looked at planes in the magazines. I looked at hundreds of them trying to pick a design and color scheme that would look cool to me. I even consulted color consultants and marketing designers. I think I asked anybody that would listen.

I made dozens of water color painted drawings to help me better visualize how the scheme would look on my plane.

I wanted something I could color coordinate the interior with the colors chosen for the plane.

In hindsight, the color scheme was the single hardest decision for me. I literally worked on that part of the design for several years before I was able to make the final decision.

It was the culmination of a lot of little pieces over many years, but when it finally came together for I knew because of the colored drawing I made that allowed me to create the looked I wanted.

Here

You can also look in some model airplane catalog,some models have very nice schemes.
    I like the scheme from the Piper Pa-18 supercub from Hegi

One thought on paint on the wings. Don, an old timer in one of the earlier forums worked as an engineer on the group at Newport News that tried to think of every thing that could possibly go wrong on our Nuclear Submarines (when they go down, they are in worse Doo Doo than we are). Once on examining his Kitfox, by putting a light inside the wing in a darkened hangar, he could see a line of light shining through the pinked edge of the finish tapes. Apparently the finish tapes had shrunk since he placed them pulling the UV protection with them. He put thermocouples in the wing and checked for internal temperatures on a hot Summer day. He got internal temps near 250° and his wings were white.
    Lowell

I dug up some of my old schemes so that people can look at them and take ideas. They are very rough. They might be a little more complex for a home paint job too. But here it they are.

I am thinking of basically a light grey or silver scheme with another bright contrasting color for visibility. The majority of the plane would be grey (similar to the Carbon Cub). I am thinking this would allow maybe one less coat of paint, saving weight and cost. Gey finish coat over the required grey UV coats would cover easily. Any thoughts on this idea?

Jim

I Like the first White, Orange & Black Scheme! I would try finding a different color than the Orange, it is pretty simple and nice looking
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

When we were flying all over the Western US generally as a flight of six. One of the regulars had a silver (gray) Model IV with a blue sunburst.

After every departure the call was "Larry, turn on your blinkers". If he was more than a several hundred yards away, he became invisible unless you checked on him every minute or so.

The bright contrasting color is a must in our group's experiece. We had white with red, yellow with blue, and white with blue. The yellow was definitely the most visible.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 01-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.

No matter how many "that's a beautiful paint job" comments you receive at airshows and pancake breakfasts or awards from judges you win, your paint job never really reports for duty until you are airborne. Your wingmen will either silently praise your choices or cuss you out under their squelch breaking breath every time they take wing with you.
    It's a little spooky when you go to change a waypoint or comm frequency and look back out for your wingman and he is nowhere to be found. Is he under me, over me, behind me? Does he see me? Did he head-on with another aircraft and I just didn't see the debris? Lots of goose bump questions race through your mind in a fraction of a second. Way faster than you can key the mike and ask " where'd you go?"

Our Kitfox's look about half the size of a 172 when airborne. Not a lot for the eye to lock on to when scanning for targets. Your paint scheme will either enhance your visibility or camouflage you.
    I'm sure Search & Rescue wishes all aircraft were painted either international orange or yellow, but that would be boring.
    If you choose an earth tone paint scheme or darker colors, please invest in the best anti-collision lighting you can find.
    Of course that would be http://www.aeroleds.com/

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear