Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ethanol

Default Re: ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Dave, be nice to me and others. When you get some more hours on your Kitfox then I'll respond to you. You have a ways to go.

Steve, I got over 1500 hours on ethanol gas alone --

What is yout point -- you got 2 days of ethanol use and your tanks magically cured them selves with avgas?

this one will go into the history books........

Facts are facts.

Dave

Again, I wonder aloud: Is the Canadian ethanol additive package different from what is added to fuel here in the US. Here, even different local governments can specify different additives be added to the fuel sold.

Some of this crap put in autogas is nasty, nasty stuff.

I have seen, with my own eyes, fiberglass boat fuel tanks that have been damaged (softened and leaking) by fuel purchased in the Milwaukee area.

I love the idea of the roto-molded polyethylene tanks. It's a shame they aren't made in the 12-14 gallon size, not needing the connecting hoses and multiple connections the little ones do.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 01-16-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    Steve, I got over 1500 hours on ethanol gas alone --

What is yout point -- you got 2 days of ethanol use and your tanks magically cured them selves with avgas?

Facts are facts.

Dave
    Dave, I just have to say...REALLY? No one cares how many hours you have on your plane or how popular your You Tube videos are. When someone walks into YOUR house and starts acting like an ass would you give them any warning at all or just kick them out the front door?
    You have been warned to tone it down, you might want to re-visit the rules to OUR house on how to conduct yourself here. I'm sure you have a wealth of experience and can be a valued asset to our community. Just go look up the word humility NUF SAID
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I have a real nice video of me and the wife sloshing the tanks after using Unleaded Auto Fuel. I also have a couple of real nice photo's that shows the damage the alcohol did to the sight gauges on the main tanks.

I wish people would listen. I had so much gunk (AKA Epoxy) in my carbs, the were stuck open on a landing. I tried throttling back to land but I couldn't get the RPMs to cut back, and I got to do a landing at about 80 to 85 MPH.

It is all up to you, if you want epoxy inside your Carbs, have at it! I have proof, the repair bill from the Rotax dealer in Florida to rebuild and clean my Carbs. The A&P bill to work with me and remove, replace, and rebalance the Carbs.

I forgot to Mention the 5 days I got to sit around in Wyers Cave Virginia waiting for my carbs to come back from Florida, waiting for the Carbs to be rebuilt!

It is your life, and you plane. My two cents. If you use Auto Fuel with Alcohol, if you are lucky, get ready to have an exciting landing! If you are not lucky get ready to have a really bad accident, or worse!
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-16-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Maybe this has been thrown out there before, but I wonder if there would be any difference to the ethanol debate regarding 2 cycle (with oil mixture) and 4 cycle (no oil mixture) engines?
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

I believe this site was put here to allow members to share information and help each other. If there is something that can cause you problems and possibly a lot of money I feel that we are doing a service to out fellow members to make them aware of potential problems. For us to dismiss something just because it hasn't happened to us doesn't advance the purpose of this site.

For me ,it's clear ,,,i dont put ethanol in my tank......

Jf

P.s please dont put all Canadian in same basket

Dave F- just in case you didn't see the latest service bulletin from Kitfox Aircraft, the real experts on everything Kitfox.
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...etins/sb60.pdf

I was there when this procedure was developed last year although I used basically the same procedure 8 years ago but with out the acetone. It did restore the inside of the fuel tanks back to normal. 850 hours later, no issues but never will auto-gas ever grace my fuel tanks again. BTW, my tanks are the same vintage as yours Dave, 1992 approx.
    and were not factory sloshed.

I'm glad you are not going through what so many like me have. I don't wish that on you or anyone else. A pain in the rear. Hope you continue to have no problem but just because you haven't doesn't mean it isn't happening. Like some have eluded to , it may be the additives and not the ethanol itself doing the damage. We have a run-a-way EPA here in the States and hopefully soon they will be reigned in some or done away with altogether.
    Be safe.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Like some have eluded to , it may be the additives and not the ethanol itself doing the damage. We have a run-a-way EPA here in the States and hopefully soon they will be reigned in some or done away with altogether.

Steve exactly! Everyone blames ethanol gas but yet no one really has any idea what is in the gas.- My self included.

I really like the idea of the crossed link polyethylene tanks like at Wingtanks. This material is widely used for fuel from gas cans to chains saws to boats.

All I know is I use what ever gas I can. My choice is premium and not for the octane as only the 912s has high enought compression to need this octane. But it is ethanol free or very reduced and has proven to give more power as ethanol and /or additives cost you power.

It is not rocket science.

Cheers,
    Dave