Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS7 Bubble Door Hardware

Default SS7 Bubble Door Hardware

I just finished up my acrylic bubble doors today, per the book using #6 screws with nylon washers and acorn nuts to hold the glass to the frame. The instructions warn you to be very careful and not tighten the screws too much or the acrylic will crack. It says to watch for stress around the screw heads using a strong light. I did all this and bottom line is the screws are barely over finger tight and I am afraid my nice stainless steel acorn nuts will vibrate loose in flight. The acrylic is stuck to the alum frame with quite strong double stick auto trim tape, so I am not afraid of the door glass actually falling off. I just don't want to worry about nuts coming off.

Does anyone have a good idea for locking the nuts more securely? It says not to use any kind of Loctite as even the fumes will damage the acrylic! I am thinking of maybe using some kind of mild glue on the threads. Any ideas? Surely I am not the only one to deal with this.

Jim

Default Re: SS7 Bubble Door Hardware

Did the acorn nuts come as an installation kit? I also have the bubble doors and they are installed with nylock nuts, which I believe came directly from LP Aeroplastics with the doors.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Could you use a dab of good old Elmers. Water soluble and it should give enough interference on the threads to keep the nuts where you left them.
    Lowell

Dj Series 6

Yes, the acorn nuts came with my door install kit from Kitfox. I really like the rivnut idea and wish I had seen it earlier. Now its too late; I drilled thru the frame per the instructions and am now stuck with using nuts on the inside. I suppose I could scrap the acorn nuts and go with nylock nuts instead; they should hold well. However, I like the smooth looks of the acorn nuts.

Maybe I'll try using some Elmer's glue on the threads, unless someone has a better idea.

Jim

A small dab of any epoxy adhesive or resin will work, as will zinc chromate primer or any enamel. Apply to the threads just before installing. Elmers glue is water based and not so good as a thread locker. No criticism intended.
    Last edited by mr bill; 01-19-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add something

If it was me, i would use a VERY small amount of RED locktite. Try it on one if your worried..

The Red Locktite is the PERMANENT type. That would be the last one I would use. It requires heat to loosen or remove.

Blue is "removable" type yet it holds well. I use it on components on my Harley (known for loosening hardware) that need to be occasionally adjusted or moved. Still, the comment about the fumes off these products causing damage would make me want to test it on a scrap piece first.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I disagree, using a small amount makes it easily removable. Done it many times. Take a toothpick to apply it.

Why not a toothpick to apply the blue stuff?

Jim