Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynon Angle of Attack

Default Dynon Angle of Attack

I am wondering about the Dynon angle-of-attack instrumentation. It uses two forward facing holes on the pitot tube (one of them on an agle) to feed two air pressures to the Skyview or D180 panel, that then reads out a proportional display of angle-of-attack up to the stall point. It sounds good, is simple to install, and is included in the panel display computer.

Does anyone have experience with this? How good is it? Is it something you can really count on, or is it just one of those gee-whiz, interesting information kind of things?

The reason I ask is because I have heard that it may not be too accurate. The Advanced Flight Systems AOA system is supposedly more accurate, but it is more money, more complicated to install (uses two air pressure ports-one on top & one on the bottom of the wing in addition to the regular pitot tube) and seems to me more vulnerable to plugging with dirt or water. I'm interested in comments from anyone who has actually installed and used the Dynon AOA system, because I am strongly leaning that direction.

Default Re: Dynon Angle of Attack

Jim, from what I understand, you have to calibrate the Dynon in a series of flight tests. Once it is calibrated it should be accurate. Although I don't have first hand knowledge of the system.

I have the AOA in my Dynon D180. It is very accuracte once the simple calibration is completed, which consists of a few stalls. I don't use the AOA because I'm generally pretty busy during the landing flare.

I have one and like it a lot. I have tested it under a number of different loading conditions and it seems pretty acurate to me. I have the Dynon tied into the audio system so I hear progresivly faster chirping in my headsets as I approach a stall.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    I have the Dynon D-100, as of yet I did not do the AOA calibration/setup. I am planning on setting it up, have the calibration instructions in my flight bag !
    I was not in a big rush to do it, My thoughts were that it might be too much info /clutter at certain times. although you can turn the AOA display in the EFIS on or off. I should get it setup/calibrated at the least.

I like Dorsal's setup with audio "chirps" , I get an audio warning from the D-120 when engine parameters are not within the set numbers, now I am wondering if I will get the chirps from the AOA, hhhmm ? some more testing in the future !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

For those of you who like to tinker (AKA save money), I have seen the AOA tubes fabricated and attached directly below the Pitot tube. Many of the guy's over on our "sister ship site" (Van's Airforce) have quite a bit to say about how the AOA works out with the Dynon. From what I have gathered the "angle of the dangle" if you will, can be made to work bending this extra tube anywhere around 45 to 60 degrees. Then following the Dynon AOA calibration instructions...they are said to work well. I look forward to toying with this in the future.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks for the responses. I feel better now and will go ahead with the Dynon AOA. I like Dorsal's setup with the sound so you don't have to be looking down at the panel during the very busy landing approach. It seems like a good system for maximizing short field landings; you can approach close to stall angle like Navy carrier pilots do, without having to watch airspeed gauge.

Jim

I went to the Van's Airforce forums and searched for Dynon AOA and found a lot of comments and information. Thanks Dan for the suggestion. It was nearly all good and the calibration seemed easy. Most agreed that it was not very useable if the audio warnings were not enabled. Flying a consistent AOA approach at about 5 mph above stall seemed to be a common way of using it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post

I like Dorsal's setup with audio "chirps"
    Unfortunately I belive you will need a separate audio feed from the D100. I also have a separate efis and ems and though linked by dsab they have independent audio.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Everything I've read suggests that any AOA or Lift Reserve instrument really should be a stand alone display with large lights or dial right at the top of your panel, so it is easy to see in your peripheral vision. Not sure if an AOA bug on an EFIS would be as easy for your eye to acquire, particularly on a flare or if things started getting busy like Bruce said.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)