Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KF3 wing convert to KF4?

Default KF3 wing convert to KF4?

I would like to know if it would be feasable to add cap strip assemblies to the bottom of a KF3 wing, removing the undercamber and acheiving a higher max airspeed. Is the top side airfoil section on the KF3 close to a KF4?

Default Re: KF3 wing convert to KF4?

The ribs have a completely different profile on the top and bottom curves, and no the bottom of a IV rib is not flat.

Someone posted a photo comparing them a while back. Also the slight differences between the Avid and 1-3 Kitfox ribs...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I found the avid airfoil HH compared to the undercambered one here. It does look like it would end up less thick compared to the avid high speed rib.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...hlight=airfoil

The Avid speed rib is the one with the flat bottom. Thicker, more interior volume, allows for the 18 gallon/side wing tanks. The "speed" part is due mostly to the shorter wing span.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 12-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Trying to convert a Kitfox 3 into a four is akin to making a Cessna 120 into a Cessna 152. It's a big leap for little gain and may not be feasible.

I understand your quest for speed. Sometimes, if what you want is a faster airplane, it's best to sell what you have and get a faster airplane. Or, you can enjoy flying a Kitfox 3 for what it is while puttering around low and slow.

Just a few of the known differences between Kitfox Model 3 and 4-1200:

Wing airfoil, thickness, camber, leading edge extrusion.
    Flaperon chord increase, airfoil change
    Flaperon control system
    Flaperon attach method
    Lift Struts diameter and wall thickness
    Lift strut carry through tubing
    Rudder area height and chord
    Rudder attach method
    Vertical stab 10 inches taller
    Vertical stab bracing
    Optional electric trim
    Landing gear bungee attach bracing
    Thicker windshield
    Windshield profile
    Turtledeck
    Bumped doors for elbow room

As you can see, the changes are not minor. Perhaps Denny should have named the models the 333 and the 444 to avoid assumptions that they are almost identical. The changes between 3 and 4s are as great as the leap from Model 4 to current Model 7.

Low and slow is not a bad thing. I fly with a buddy in his Luscombe. If we get 90 mph on a cold day we laugh at the blinding speed and just smile that we get more flying time on the way to lunch than the pilots in faster airplanes.

So, lets say you modify your Model 3 wing with the Model 4 airfoil and you get a whopping 10% increase in cruise speed. Your trip to get a hamburger used to take 60 minutes and now you do it in 54. Who notices? How about a big cross country flight? Ok, a 1000 mile 10 hour flight to Oshkosh now takes you just 9 hours. It still takes two days!!!

Now, if you just want to own the worlds fastest Model 3 Kitfox.... that's another story. I can appreciate that.

Enjoy the ride.
    John Pitkin

Good Lord John. You have it figured out each way I turn. All excellant point to keep in mind. You even thought about the Oshkosh flyin factor. I give up. Guess I am always trying to change things. My brother and I grew up with a father who had his own drawings of the what became the Wankel engine, before the Wankel went to patent. We have always looked to improve things like he did. I guess it is more important to have the extra HP of the Viking engine for critial climb situations as opossed to just going faster. Thanks.

John Pitkin has good points. There are a few things you can do to speed up a III. Murle Williams told me you can add a sharper leading edge to the wing and speed up some. You can add fairings to various places too. But, if you go too fast exceeding the design vne I suppose you could cause problems elsewhere. My Kitfox III cruises about 85mph. I can get 90 out of it but I prefer not to push the engine. I've flown from Austin, Tx to Oshkosh, Wi twice and survived a flight to Sun N Fun and back in March/April. I enjoy the long trips. My advice is dance with the girl who brought you.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Notsoamish,

Like you I was looking as ways to make my KFIII faster during a rebuild. I installed the plastic leading edge from KF and a thicker windshield. With the 912 mine will "easily" blow through red line. I've yet to get the throttle fully open before I'm off the ground. A 912(80hp) is all the motor you want on a KFIII, anything more is overkill IMHO. The airplane will let you know what speed it wants to cruise. I cruise at 80-85 at 4200rpm. I can easily make it go faster but it just does feel happy. I don't know what the effect of the new leading edge on the earlier airfoil as I never flew without it. My impression is that it lowers the overall drag of the wing but does not have much effect on it's overall speed range. All I can say is mine does not exibit any negitive effects. Murle Williams is a good source of info about the modification.
    I would advise against getting too creative with alot of unproven mods or engines. Stick with what has proven to work, you'll be flying a lot sooner and safer. Get it flying and enjoy it for what it is, you'll soon forget about wanting to go fast !

EG

The more pointed leading edge PVC parts are in our parts inventory. We also have the re-enforced flaperon link points and mass dampening weights for the flaperons. We have also increased our vertical fin leading edge area for about 15% increase and are buying the aileron differential mod kit. Still need to find out if our windshield stock material has been upgraded to the thicker one. I guess we are really after the best possible flying pleasure instead of speed.
    If we go 4200 rpm with the Viking we should be consuming somewhat less than 3.5 GPH.
    Last edited by NotSoAmish; 12-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Keep in mind the 1-3 were designed for the 75# 582 engine. A 135# 912 is pushing the weight limitations of this design.

I fear that Eggenfellner's 200# Honda auto-conversion will not add much performance and could possibly cause more problems than it solves on this model plane.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos